The old roadmap forum post was revived yesterday and I promised to collect some information and share with you. We have three overall focus areas:
- The new editor (Editor 2)
- The Defold web
- The Defold engine
The editor team is working hard to fix bugs and implement missing features in Editor 2. The ambition is to replace the old editor as soon as possible, but there’s still a way to go before this happens. I use the new editor more or less daily and despite a few kinks here and there it’s stable and functions well. We do not have an ETA for when we will replace the old editor.
The web team is working on the new community pages, known on the forum and internally as Sticky Iron. The work is progressing nicely and we’ve done a few external tests already. A first version should be released well before end of Q2.
The engine team is working in two week sprints/iterations and there are many stakeholders with a claim to their backlog. You guys, the external users, are one group and game teams at King is another. We also have company and partner requirements as an influence. The fourth and final stakeholder is the team itself. With so many things influencing the backlog it’s really hard to make predictions far into the future and it makes us very reluctant to share a detailed list of the things that are currently on the horizon. A couple of things that are fairly certain to happen in Q2 are:
- Full platform support for native extensions. This should be done mid-May
- Particle effects in gui. Designed by Johan in this sprint. Implementation to follow.
- Facebook Gameroom support
We also have a list of high priority bugfixes that are likely to get fixed in the coming releases:
- DEF-1636 - Euler rotation broken
- DEF-1186 - Sprite scale/size should be editable
- DEF-521 - Gameobject scales do not apply to physics objects
And we’ve picked up that these are often requested new features here on the forum:
- DEF-2082 - Resize window from script in runtime
- DEF-2058 - Retina/HiDPI graphics content workflow and pipeline (multi resolution assets)
- DEF-1150 - Sound: possible to set pitch when playing sounds
- DEF-1766 - Redefine input bindings at runtime (PC game critical. Workaround is horrible.)
There are bound to be more/other things shipped in the coming Defold releases. If you feel that a critical bug is being neglected or there’s a missing feature then please make your voice heard in the Bugs or Feature Request sections here on the forum.