Introduce yourself

Welcome everyone! So glad Defold community is growing! Check out the amazing tutorials for Defold: :wink:

4 Likes

Hello, new guy here. I’ve been trying defold for a couple of weeks and stalking the forums intensively, I just didn’t have much to say yet. Now I do; i think i’ve found a bug, so i’ll just go pester people there…

8 Likes

Hi! I just picked up defold, apparently I tried it 2 years ago and never really did anything with it (based on my forum account, a year old now lol). Since then I’ve programmed a lot, completed two rounds of #100daysofcode on twitter and learned a lot of java and javascript. My passion has always been to make games. It’s the reason i started learning programming in the first place, so I decided to give defold another go. Looking forward to learning to use it this time around. I intend to do a round 3 of #100daysofcode with it :smiley:

9 Likes

Welcome @drewM!

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

4 Likes

Thanks! really looking forward to learning all I can about defold and Lua. As much as lua seems to be used in game development, I’m surprised there’s not that much in the way of learning materials. I did pick up the Lua book that was recommended on the defold site, so I’ll use that and hopefully learn while making some small games :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome, @drewM! Drop us a Twitter handle or use #Defold or #MadeWithDefold, so we could check this out :wink:

5 Likes

Hi guys
I’m Navid Torabi from Shiraz. my main field is electronics, so most of my experience is about microcontrollers and embedded programming ( 8051, avr, pic, arm, arduino … ), robotics, some industrial controllers and plcs, image processing, lighting and etc. my first programming experince was basic language when i was 10 years old using Amiga 500 ( I’m 34 now ) - I have lot of projects in this fields, maybe I’m good in electronic stuff but in game developing I’m a noob :smiley: It’s less than 2 years i have started to learn how to make games seriously with my brother , I have started using game maker and GML first, We have published one game using it ( in persian android app store), after that i started to learn unity and node js, we have published Yahtzee online ( in persian language again) using unity and nodejs and I’m still working on it for new updates. I was looking for a good tools to make html5 games as I don’t like unity webgl builds for html5 games. I started to learn phaser but phaser was not the right thing i was looking for, recently i found Defold in twitter and I thought maybe it’s good choice for html5 games too. after about one week with defold I think it was good choice to start learning defold and finding these nice guys.
It’s nice to take time with you :+1: Love You All :grinning:

14 Likes

Welcome Navid!

Yay! The impact Commodore (and Atari) for that matter have had on a whole generation is amazing! I grew up with the C64 and a long line of Amigas.

We should look into support for RTL text in gui text nodes and label components.

3 Likes

cool, I still have my Amiga 500, I’m not sure if it still works but i have it. two button mouse with those noisy button, talaagh talaagh, some one pushes mouse button on kitchen some one else says who is working with amiga? from bathroom :grinning:
I had Atari 7800 and atari 2600 too, those days was realy cool.

yesterday i was searching on my telegram persian groups to see if someone else use defold from my country, i found a person who was comparing defold and construct and Godot and his problem with defold was about persian support. It was not new post ( those days which defold was not open source ) but it’s his problem anyway. lot of people in my country use unity, thats because lot of things are available for persian in unity. however i didn’t want defold to make games in persian but i know one of the first thing that my country developers look for is support for RTL text and persian gui features. maybe I can do some usefull thing about it if i get more familiar with defold and lua

4 Likes

hello im teenager that recently found out about defold. I hope forum will help me and i hope i might be able to help others on forum in the future

7 Likes

HI @slimebor, and welcome to Defold!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @slimebor! :slight_smile:

Hi, welcome slimebor
You can introduce yourself here and look for others too :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome!

The forum is a great place, everyone is so nice and helpful!

Feel free to create a post if you need anything :smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m nakina! I’ve dabbled with game development off and on over the years mostly with various versions of rpg maker. A few days ago I was watching videos by GameFromScratch on youtube and discovered the Defold game engine. When I heard that it was recently made open source I decided to download it and start experimenting. I made a simple game called The Wooter that I put up on itch.io and joined the #madewithdefold game jam and now here I am on the forum.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Nakina4!

2 Likes

Welcome @Nakina4 , @slimebor, @Navid and @drewM , about @Navid I have to say that me that I am greek usually cannot understand somethings in english because is not my native language but this forum that defold has helps a lot with the examples and with this very good community. As for @Nakina4 I done many woots! please check also at Jam my Pegasus which has greek inside also. thanks and welcome again to all

3 Likes

Hi all :slight_smile:
I’m Claudiu (friends call me hobbes). I’m a software engineer in telecom, working in C/C++. I’ve only had 1 job in game development some years ago and I enjoyed the field a lot. Back then, our stack was mostly Lua with Moai SDK + some C++ & Obj-C code for optimizations. Given that I’m mostly interested in 2D games, Defold looks like a great framework. The editor is very intuitive and I also appreciate the messaging passing orientation a lot.

9 Likes

Welcome Claudiu!

2 Likes

Hi all,

Software Eng/Unity/C2 developer here, looking at Defold as a replacement for Construct 2/3 HTML5 games, and maybe even all our Unity games.

So far defold looks promising!

Great work Defold team!

9 Likes