Introduce yourself

Hello Defold Form,

I’m 19-yo CS student from Turkey. I stared playing games when I was 6 and always wanted to make games. But when I started to learn how to develop games, I also realized I don’t want to make them, I want to create them.

But people don’t hire a designer just because he want to create games. You need to prove yourself you can design. ( Game studios in Turkey don’t even hire designers )

Speaking of Turkey, devs here always talk about how you can’t survive as an indie and you need to make hypercasual games no matter what or your games will make no money. And I can’t find anyone who wants to make a team and work together.
Did I say all of them use unity ? All of them use unity and worship it but I’m sure they didn’t even try any other engine.

I’m making a pong like game but whit mechanics like New Star Soccer. I’m planning to share it’s progress whit you if you guys interested ?

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sayuris1!

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m one of those Corona developers that is looking for an alternative. I love Corona SDK, I would prefer to stick with it, but I’m looking at other options, now that CoronaLabs has announced they’re shutting down. I hope that Corona SDK has a long life, thanks to strong community support, but I’ve been down this road before.

My schtick is serious apps. It happens that game dev tools (like Defold) are ideal for developing serious applications that include GUIs, networking, and so on. I look forward to seeing what Defold can do.

14 Likes

Welcome @rdepew!
I hope to see some nice creations soon! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello, I am Elpidoforos from Greece I am a hobbyist and I want to create my own games. I saw defold and I saw lua an as an easy language for beginners. I wish to all good luck. Thanks

10 Likes

Helle there! I’m Alex from Brazil. I’ve known Defold for a year or so but I never tested for real. A few weeks ago I got really frustrated with SpriteKit (Apple’s 2D game framework) so I decided to test some game engines. Defold was the last one of my list :frowning: but I’m glad that m here now :smiley: Really enjoying the community (I never used any forum but this place is so welcoming), devs, lua and the engine itself. I’m in the middle of development of my first game with it. So far so good. Thanks!

oh and I’m planning to make some tutorials in pt-br.

10 Likes

Hi @Elpidoforos_Gkikas and @Dat_Indie

4 Likes

Welcome @Dat_Indie and @Elpidoforos_Gkikas

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Romain from France, I’m new to game development but willing to learn and Defold seems to be a great tool to do it. It’s super intuitive, I’ve been playing around with it for the last coupe of days and it has been a blast :slight_smile:
I’m trying to make a simple prototype card game (Hearthstone-like), I will open a thread later in another section to discuss it and ask for some advice.

7 Likes

Hi @Exoseed! And welcome!

3 Likes

Bumping for the new people to introduce themselves! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi! I’m Mike, and I live in the United States (Iowa). My day job is a mix of full-stack web development/database stuff (SQL, C# and JS).

I’ve dabbled in game dev for a several years now, from Tetris clones in VB6, to a released Android kids game in LibGDX.

With Defold, so far, I’ve found myself at least 10x more productive. The performance out of the box is just incredible. The message passing system is a huge selling point as well!

I hope to share more about my games on here as time goes on.

11 Likes
print("Hello world") 

Hi, I am Geeth. Now, I am also a member of defold team. And i have a dream to be a popular indie game developer.

In the game industry, I have seen a lot of copied games. so, i will hope to make games that people have never seen.

And, not only that, I have 2 years experience of corona sdk engine. but it doesn’t match me. it was too hard to learn. I have knew this defold engine before the corona sdk. I think it would be better than defold engine. but it doesn’t. so I omitted that.

And, after I came to this, I felt a big different. And this community is nice.
It is also friendly.

so, in here, I stop my story.

🅣︎🅗︎🅐︎🅝︎🅚︎🅢︎ 🅕︎🅞︎🅡︎ 🅐︎🅛︎🅛︎…
@Grass_dev

12 Likes

Hi,

My name is Daniel Widgren and have worked mainly as backend developer with Erlang, mostly in areas for voip, chat messaging systems. For a year ago I started to look into game development with some friends to do something fun.

When I did see Defold engine we started to pickup our project again. So we hope to get something out. Started to support Defold on Github.

14 Likes

Hi, and welcome @Daniel_Widgren!

5 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt Chambers, been an IT pro in the west coast of Canada for over 20 years, mostly spent in the ISP sector as a Unix/Linux admin, lately been teaching Linux 101. Been a game developer hobbyist off and on for a few years now, sadly nothing published to show off; but its my goal with this engine. I look forward to learning, and assisting where I can.

Thanks for reading,
Matt/

10 Likes

Is it fair to say this is the busiest the forums have ever been? It’s great to see so many new faces.

4 Likes

Someone posted Defold to a facebook group earlier this week that’s where I heard about this. That could be where this fresh interest is coming from. I am quite excited about how busy and on-point this forum is.

4 Likes

What group was that? I’d like to check it out!

Defold just went almost open source so that’s how most/all the new people got here and most likely what made that someone post it in your group.

Anyway, welcome, hope you like it here, no matter where you came from!

2 Likes