We have been developing a major project for over a year. And in it we are using LiveUpdate. And because of this, we constantly encounter problems along the way.
However, this approach has many limitations (this is my old topic about it):
- if you build the same project on different PCs, its LU will not work with the old loader.
- if at least one byte has been changed in the loader, the LU will not work with the old loader.
- if the project version has changed, the LU will not work with the old loader (although the version has no effect on the content).
- if you want to update the loader to the new one, it is impossible to do this through the LU.
- when downloading files from LU it is impossible to know their size to show the progress bar.
- and other things we have not found yet.
We tried splitting our project into a loader (as abstracted from the game code as possible) and the game itself. This solution helped to get a more or less workable version (“more or less” because it only works on version 172 of the engine).
Perhaps the thing is that the LiveUpdate has a name that sort of speaks of a live update - i.e. the ability to update content, to make it updated and fresh.
And we try to use LiveUpdate to update our content - to deliver some parts of it independently.
So we come to the point where the LU still requires a complete update of the entire project from the store.
What’s the sense of the LU then?
Okay, I understand that this is probably a pointless question, so I want to ask if it’s possible to get some kind of feature (let’s call it AutoUpdate) which will have the following properties:
- any game collection can be excluded from the bundle and deposited somewhere on the internet.
- the game will try to download the collection when it detects it.
- this will not depend on the PC where the collection was built, neither the version of the loader, nor the engine version (but it will depend on the format - if the format has changed, you need to update the bootloader).
- the game’s start collection (i.e. “in game” loader, not engine) can also be updated by the same way.
How feasible is this wish?