Defold Q2 roadmap

I really love this roadmap. Everything’s mentioned what’s bugging me currently! :smiley:

4 Likes

I was thinking about the forum feature requests and testing related stuff this weekend. I know I was one of the people who requested “DEF-1766 - Redefine input bindings at runtime”, but at the moment I am working around this pretty easily (at least for keys, I haven’t messed with gamepads yet). I generated an input map for every key and made a script that is essentially a second input map to filter out bound keys and pass them on to objects that request them. Maybe this is super inefficient and I shouldn’t do it . . . but so far it seems like an okay workaround.

Here is the input map if anyone wants to do this themselves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqrs1lxexjsuv2i/all_keys.input_binding?dl=0

6 Likes

Thanks for all of your awesome work on defold – really loving it.

One thing I was hoping to see, not sure if it is already on the roadmap or not, is the ability to control game speed in headless mode.

4 Likes

This issue is also requested by @andreas.strangequest. I don’t have the latest info on the priority of this issue. @Sara knows more.

1 Like

I want to remind you of an important bug DEF-1733.
Applications tend to lost sound after some time in background (on iOS).
Not all users are know how to restart app (to get sound back), so they likely abandon app after all. Please fix this.

1 Like

Also, it would be great to fix DEF-1117 (discussed here), because inability to rotate a collider causes a lot of trouble.

1 Like

Thank you all for suggesting more issues that you feel should be prioritised! We really appreciate all the feedback we get from you, but I do hope you all understand that there is a limit to the amount of things we have time to fix each release. I can’t promise anything but we’ll certainly consider the additional issues suggested here. Thanks!

7 Likes

Working bundling features seem to have appeared in my Editor 2 when I wasn’t paying attention . . .

5 Likes

Up!
q2 almost end, just interesting how is it going?

7 Likes

Any news about gameroom?
We want to release our game there…

1 Like

Yep, gameroom would be great!

Also what about messenger and telegram games? Anyone tried it?

Yes. Soon.

Now that we have HTML5 extension support and the new html5.* namespace I believe we’re one step closer to proper messenger games. But I’m concerned that application size might be a problem. The Defold engine is quite lean compared to many others, but it still contains a bunch of stuff that you probably don’t need in a messenger game. We’re experimenting with a more modular engine where some parts can be treated as extensions and become excluded if they aren’t needed (for instance physics engines).

6 Likes

Another potential for a smaller build size is building interactive apps that aren’t exactly games but borrow from similar paradigms.

1 Like

Has there been any progress on this?

1 Like

N[quote=“gianmichele, post:23, topic:7167”]
Has there been any progress on this?
[/quote]

No, I’m afraid not. We should probably create a new roadmap post covering Q4. I’ll see if I can put something together with the help of @Oleg_The_Evangelist and @Sara

3 Likes

Indeed, we haven’t shared a vision for the next 3-6 months really. I’ve put it to my backlog. Will be back soon!

2 Likes

I’ve quick-resurrected the gossips post, since a bigger bolder Q4 roadmap post would take too much time. Mostly because Q4 for Defold is heavily influenced by unannounced things at King.

1 Like

Hey everyone, out of curiosity what is planned for 3D?
In all the roadmap talks you mentioned numerous times better 3d tools, but I was wondering what it meant.

1 Like

So far our focus has been mainly on 3D performance, stability and rendering capabilities and not on tools. It’s still kinda clunky and hard to set up and work with a purely 3D game in terms of camera control, scene editing, animations and many other things. I’m not really sure what kind of priority all of this will be given throughout 2018. @sven, @andreas.tadic and @Mathias_Westerdahl, would you care to elaborate on the plans for 3D during 2018?

3 Likes

The main thing I’m hoping for is better 3d collision such as based on a model’s geometry so we can have a low poly version of a level to use for collisions for example. Right now making the play area for a 3d game is very limited - only option is to stitch a bunch of boxes together or having the world be flat.

Also need a built in navigation mesh feature.

Improved 3d scene editing would be great. Because it’s so tedious I have thought about making one in engine and I bet others have too.

Ability to directly create and modify model geometry in engine would be handy.

4 Likes