Defold 1.2.170 BETA

Defold 1.2.170 BETA

The latest beta is now released, and we invite those interested in beta testing the new features in the editor and engine to join now.
The beta period will be 2 weeks and the next planned stable release is two weeks from now.

We hope this new workflow will highlight any issues earlier, and also get valuable feedback from our users. And please comment if you come up with ideas on improving on this new workflow.

Please report any engine issues in this thread or in issues using Help -> Report Issue

Thx for helping out!

Disclaimer

This is a BETA release, and it might have issues that could potentially be disruptive for you and your teams workflow. Use with caution. Use of source control for your projects is strongly recommended.

Access to the beta

Download the editor or bob.jar from http://d.defold.com/beta/

Set your build server to https://build-stage.defold.com

Release notes

In this release we’ve updated the Android bundling to support the new .aab format.
There’s a new setting for this in the bundle dialog, or check the documentation for bob.jar on how to specify it using the --bundle-format option.

We’ve also finally added support for physics scaling. You can enable it by checking the option physics.allow_dynamic_transformsin the project settings. It allows you to set the transform at runtime for the non static collision objects.

Another physics fix is that the phyics.raycast() have been updated so that it can return all the raycast hits. See the documentation for further info on how this api has changed (it is still backwards compatible though).

We have updated the HTML5 builds to use Emscripten 1.39.16, which yields smaller (about 13%) wasm executable sizes.

This is the first release we’ve made where community contributions have been made.
Thank you for your support!

Some notable contributions are a fix for not rendering 9-sliced gui nodes when the don’t have any texture, which is a good optimization. Another one is a having texture compression as an option in the bundle dialog, which will make it clearer for our users. Also some documentation improvements.

Engine

• Issue-3381 - Added: Added support for Android App Bundles
  • Issue-3189 - Added: Added support for physics scaling
  • Issue-4845 - Fixed: Don’t render while iconified
  • Issue-3181 - Fixed: Refactor handling 9 slice gui node with no texture.
  • Issue-4830 - Fixed: Add all keys input binding to builtins.
  • Issue-4873 - Fixed: Added helpful information to script templates
  • Issue-4710 - Fixed: physics.raycast now can return all results
  • Issue-3315 - Fixed: Fix label rotation
  • Issue-4821 - Fixed: Respect texture-compression setting when creating app bundle.
  • Issue-3342 - Fixed: Fixed parsing issue with go.property(…) with regards to spaces
  • Issue-4831 - Fixed: Pass nil to window.set_listener() to unsubscribe
  • Issue-4849 - Fixed: NE: Remove GraphicsAdapterOpenGL symbol when linking headless builds
  • Issue-1848 - Fixed: Fixed inconsistency between setting (0,0,0) and (0) as scale in factory create
  • Issue-4784 - Fixed: Handle display cutout in immersive mode
  • Issue-4775 - Fixed: Don’t try to get the animation frame index if no animation is set

Editor

• Issue-4821 - Fixed: Add texture compression option to bundle dialog.
  • Issue-4844 - Fixed: Added donate link to the editor help menu
  • PR #4800 - Fixed: Specify exact JDK version to download
  • PR #4813 - Fixed: Fix misplaced docstrings in the editor code

Defold source

• Issue-4803 - Fixed: Update to Emscripten 1.39.16
  • Issue-4827 - Fixed: Package path can now point to a local folder
  • Issue-4815 - Fixed: Detect missing sdk before engine build
  • Issue-4822 - Fixed: Updated engine to use MSVC 2019
  • Issue-4640 - Fixed: Added support to build/package our external libraries using waf
  • Issue-4817 - Fixed: Updated the engine coding guidelines
  • Issue-4640 - Fixed: Added script to build external packages using our build system
20 Likes

Wow, a lot of things, and there are PRs as well! :smiley:

I’m going to try it, especially because of physics scaling! :wink:

So what is the solution for ray casts returning all values in the end?

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the link to the docs!

Not sure what you mean?
If you tell it to get all ray hits, you’ll get them all, in ascending hit time.
Did you check the documentation? If something should be clearer, please let us know!

2 Likes

Yes, sorry, I’ve missed the link to the documentation! :smiley:
And that solution is clear and understandable, thanks! :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, good to hear!

I’m getting this error when building for HTML5

Already tried to remove the build folder.

1 Like

What extensions are you using?

And you are using the stage server? https://build-stage.defold.com

Yeah, I might bite too. I just took footage of two of my coworkers (and myself) and I’m going to be adding them into my fighting game this week, which means messing around with a lot of different hitboxes. Physics scaling would probably save me a lot of work.

3 Likes

4 Likes

This worked thanks!

2 Likes

I’m getting a different error when building for HTML5:

Using the following extensions:
47%20AM
I’ve set the build server correctly, as well as removing the build folder. build/js-web/log.txt attached below.

log.txt (5.9 KB)

1 Like

Try removing DefOS please?

1 Like

It builds just fine after removing DefOS, guess the update broke it?

Yep, DefOS uses emscripten.h internally. I don’t know why, but there is something changed related to the Emscripten 1.39.16 update. Maybe @Pkeod or @dapetcu21 might help.

4 Likes

I’m having issues with html5 build too, the app is crashing with just a black screen. Windows 10, I have the correct build server.

I tried to isolate the problem, and it looks like there is also an issue with the Facebook extension (on html5 at least). Console errors:

Minimal repro case:
FBTest.zip (624.9 KB)

I get the crash when I call facebook.access_token() in the repro case. Uncomment it and the errors are gone.

The crash you shared showed problems with Pointer_stringify, which according to our Emscripten release notes have been changed in Emscripten 1.39:

Pointer_stringify is used in a bunch of places and need to be changed to UTF8ToString: https://github.com/defold/extension-facebook/blob/master/facebook/lib/web/library_facebook.js

It would be great if you could make the change and submit a PR!

2 Likes

Thanks to @GreenArrow, there is now a new release for extension-facebook with support for the new Emscripten.

3 Likes

I’ll fix DefOS and FMOD this weekend. If you need it faster, feel free to submit PRs :smile:

6 Likes

I updated both DefOS and FMOD to work with 1.2.170. The FMOD update is a breaking change, so I marked the release on Github as a pre-release until 1.2.170 comes out. DefOS should still work with 1.2.169.

Oddly, with DefOS, I was already using UTF8ToString and the issue was what I can only describe as a compiler bug with EM_ASM.

5 Likes

I updated jstodef, not sure if there something else I need to update.

3 Likes