App and window icon on Windows (DEF-3126) (SOLVED)

What about icon for windows build? Is it works?
We can’t add icon to the bundle =(

1 Like

So sorry, it seems I forgot about this issue, never added it to our issue tracker. Added an issue for it now: DEF-3126

If it is urgent, please use the method @Pkeod explained above until we have resolved the issue.

6 Likes

Unfortunately this method helps with console window, but main game window still without icon =(

Managed to bundle a windows app with custom icon, both for binary and window;

Used this website (there are probably better ways to do it): http://icoconvert.com/
With these settings:

5 Likes

already made a pull request into DefOS with set_window_icon feature

* facepalm *

3 Likes

Still useful!

1 Like

I don’t know how did you do this, but it doesn’t work for me.

Might have something to do with native extension built exe? I just tested with a bundled version of DefOS and old method I post didn’t seem to work, but the method you added does.

2 Likes

Bingo! @Pkeod
Bundled icon works only without any native extensions and without AppManifest (if build makes without build server) in the project!

(@sven can you move posts about icon into other forum topic?)

3 Likes

I’m not Sven but I did it anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

This is still an issue. Changing the exe icon manually is a pain, and console window still uses GLFW_ICON instead of the main game window. Also the console window still shows up by default on release builds.

This sucks because I want to release a game on Steam but without these obvious things it will lose a part of professional quality.

4 Likes

Yes, not good. Let me see what can be done. Shouldn’t be that big of a thing to fix.

1 Like

@inactive-vilse and @andreas.tadic quickwins?

I can’t really say since it works when native extensions aren’t used, @Mathias_Westerdahl might have a more direct answer?

Not sure actually, since I believe it’s actually Bob that merges the icon into the exe.
But pehaps it’s related to the NE build not being built with /subsystem:windows. This is a flag I’ll add to the SDK when I’m back at my desk next week (not sure what release that’ll be though)

1 Like

So there’s two problems:

1. Changing/setting the icon is a pain
  2. The console window shows up on release builds.

#1 is a build pipeline issue
#2 is related to native extensions

@Mathias_Westerdahl which one did you refer to with the build flag?

1 Like

I’ll be looking into #2 next week, and at the same time take a look at #1, to see if it’s related (as I mentioned, it should be bob that does the icon embedding)

4 Likes

I’m convinced they are related.
I added the /subsystem:windows some time ago (pre-NE) and one of the reasons was to get rid of the console window. It doesn’t seem to be applied for NE builds which explains #2.
Regarding #1, I don’t think you can set the console application icon, so not using the /subsystem:windows would mean it’s ignored. Setting the flag will likely correct this.

1 Like

Solved in 1.2.135

2 Likes