What version of Luasocket, no IPv6?

Hi, I am wondering what version of luasocket you are using in Defold. Does it support IPv6?

We use LuaSocket 3.0-rc1. It does support IPv6. If you open socket.lua in builtins you’ll see the helper function to connect using IPv6.

function _M.connect6(address, port, laddress, lport)
    return socket.connect(address, port, laddress, lport, "inet6")
end
2 Likes

Thanks Britzl, yes I just saw it when I read through socket.lua.
We’ve been rejected from Testflight (yeah I hate having to submit for review even if it’s only for external beta tests) due to not working in IPv6 networks. Really cannot figure out why and I’m going through this right now to see why it would fail. Doesn’t have access to IPv6 network right now so it’s kinda hard to test.

Anyone had experience with similar and know beforehand what the reason might be?

1 Like

Strange. We added IPV6 support in Defold 1.2.83 (for http.request). LuaSocket has had support for it since for as long as I can remember.

Will try to setup an environment next week to see if I can reproduce. Not much info from Apple. Doesn’t work. Make it work. … kinda

Yeah, that sucks. Let us know if we can support you guys in any way.

1 Like

Test on a network with IPv4 disabled? Probably a way you can set it up with just your computer and test device?

Was this testing done when Defold had IPv6 added? Apple tests on a network with only IPv6 and no IPv4.

Yes I’m doing this a little blindfolded right now. Don’t know why it cannot connect client to server.
I’m trying to setup a small sandbox environment on local network but I really can’t get a hang of it.

This is the answer from Apple:

To resolve this issue, please run your app on a device while connected to an IPv6 network (all apps must support IPv6) to identify any issues, then revise and resubmit your app for review.

If we misunderstood the intended behavior of your app, please reply to this message in Resolution Center to provide information on how these features were intended to work.

Unfortunately time is very short and I was supposed to send this version to our partners. A thing that Apple doesn’t allow. They really don’t seem to have any system that allows early prototypes to be tried out by a selected group of people without it being fully reviewed as a releasable app.

Testflight used to be its own service not owned by Apple. There are still private competitors to Testflight which can do what it used to be able to do without the Apple approval middleman.

I’ve not tried any of these but one may work for you https://rollout.io/blog/testflight-alternatives-ios-beta-testing/

You’ll still need to get their device uuids and add to the provisioning profile etc. probably those services have an easy way for your partners to sign up and link their device then you can get the uuid, add to profilem, make and upload build.

1 Like