Urgent! Need help! I have huge problem with game submission to Apple

I can provide you with an “official letter” from the Defold Foundation, explaining our technology and the way we use Lua etc. I’ll include my contact details as well in case Apple want to connect. My experience with Apple though is that they are more robot than human and that it is almost impossible to get in touch with anyone that can do anything other than repeating pre-approved replies.

8 Likes

This is true in my experience too. We have had a recent iOS game rejected multiple times for seemingly arbitrary reasons, then approved, also seemingly randomly, without comment or explanation. My advice would be to keep responding to the messages and keep uploading new builds.

4 Likes

britzl, I can add you as developer to my game in itunesconnect, then you can reach support team that rejected defold game via resolution center. The second option, I have number of issue (case number) for support team. You can use it for reaching non bot person\

And thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Let’s try this first. Please share the case number and contact details with me (bjorn@defold.se).

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve sent an email (you on cc) to the Apple review team, referencing your specific case. I hope they come to their senses.

9 Likes

Thank you Björn, great email, hope it helps. :+1:

Keep us updated! This looks like an overzealous reviewer to be honest. A lot of other game engines or apps that use luajit behind the scenes do those operations.

7 Likes

Not yet…

6 Likes

Progress:

11 Likes

Does that mean a hacker could potentially decompile, change some values in the cleartext lua, and recompile?

1 Like

Does that mean a hacker could potentially decompile, change some values in the cleartext lua, and recompile?

Well, sure, this would make it easier.

However, remember that we’re talking about iOS here, which is a closed platform, and it’s very hard to get the .ipa in the first place. And then what will they do with the .ipa?

Also note that we’re not adding this as a default, but for those cases where you need it.

4 Likes

OK thanks for the clarifications!

1 Like

That is very easy using Apple Configurator 2 from Mac App store.

Then rename .ipa to .zip unpack it, etc.

1 Like

Nice, I didn’t know about that tool!

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons I suggested compiling Lua to C. Compiled C code is quite good against hacking.

Finally!!!
Björn WIN!

Old rejected (!!!) version of my game was approved by apple review team without any warnings, e-mails or contacts.
But … it’s too bad that this is an outdated and half-working version of the game :frowning:

Thank you Björn, you are the best :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Earlier this evening I talked to the contact we now have in the Apple review team. He told me they were now confident that the app wasn’t doing anything malicious and that the additional information we shared about Defold helped them.

We will still proceed with the planned changes to bob.jar where you will be able to package an application with Lua scripts included in clear text. If anyone gets stuck in the review process in the future this new option will help.

We also published a brief overview on our archive format and why we have decided to use an archive instead of individual files:

19 Likes

Very impressive. Great work, @britzl.

3 Likes

This is great. Awesome work @britzl.

2 Likes