Texture of GUI node invisible in runtime/build, but visible in editor

In Editor I added two Box nodes with textures “alchemy/food_apple” and “gui/key” (for example):

Problem is that when I run it or build it, the apple icon is not visible :confused: I checked layers (text is the top layer), clipping and every other possible issue, but can’t get that texture to show anything on the screen.

There are more nodes with alchemy texture here, but none of them are visible in running app. The nodes are not rendered below either (I tried with just one node of this texture in the gui)

It is generally issue only with this one atlas and I don’t know why, atlas have all images and everything there is correct.

Do you maybe have some ideas what could it be?

Is inventory gui template, or it gui scene?

Mb some texture name collision if inventory.gui is template.

Texture alchemy is different in template, and root gui.

1 Like

Check Z pos of this node and make sure it’s zero (in the editor and in your code if you change it manually)

1 Like

Thank you! :wink: Ok, checked: Z pos of all nodes is 0 (was everywhere).

It is indeed template, but even when I remove all templates in the GUI the problem is the same with that texture.

Ok, so the name collision hint gave me an idea (there are a lot of small icons in both atlases, so it’s hard to check), so I copied all images from one atlas to another and in that way Defold Editor points out conflicts - and yes, there was one conflicting name! It was not detected probably, because up to this point I wasn’t using that particular image anywhere.

But sadly, it didn’t solve the case!

I checked in other GUI and there was no problem even, if the two textures from presented GUI are combined in that other GUI and there are templates (and there was a name conflict before).

Drastically, I removed everything from that problematic GUI and left only one node with image from the problematic texture.

(I noticed now, there is a font named alchemy - I removed it now, the problem is still there anyway)

I even created a whole new GUI, with only one node and one texture (alchemy) to exclude every possible GUI error and it is not visible in runtime. When I change that texture to any other - it works.

At this point I am confused - I made a completely new atlas with one image only (from builtins!), created a new GUI with that atlas and one node with texture from this atlas and guess what? It is not visible in runtime! (I added later other, plain Box node, to see if it shows - and it is. Is it some kind of curse or what? :sweat_smile:

(only the white simple box node is appearing, no textured node)
Some of the existing atlases in the project are working in GUI and some are not, I see no dependencies between them :frowning:

Was using:
Editor: 3b4110f4267f6c75fe7e71cc7488e00621e91d7a
Engine: f77b7f655a0ba68462f6c33604bed7000018735f

Today I updated to:
Editor: db55f3faa6347a66d60715dddd9663687d54ceed

Still no chances to see it in runtime with all above tricks :frowning:

Editor gives no errors nor warnings, either when running or bundling :confused: And I am confused why it is visible in Editor and not in runtime.

1 Like

Strange) Some kind of magic) :thinking:

Maybe something with texture profiles?

Is gui and alchemy have different texture profile?

1 Like

Can you create a minimal project where the problem can be seen?

Yes, I didn’t change texture profiles for any atlases.

It’s literally I am choosing from different exisiting atlases and some are working, some are not :confused:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (27)

Oh, I thought it would be undoable, because of so many factors in my project, but it is happening with a very simple project even:

GUI_repro.zip (76.9 KB)

White box is visible in runtime, but textured one is not :confused:

1 Like

Worked on my pc. Windows:) :thinking:

1 Like

maybe something with your pc.
Reboot?
Also try to clear build folder and rebuild.
Is that happened when you do bundle or html build?

1 Like

Oh my :confused: I am on WIndows 10 64bit

Bundled zip is not working on my laptop either:
GUI_repro.zip (2.4 MB)

I will try reboot and clear now.

bundle also worked :thinking:

1 Like

Restart and clearing didn’t help in both my project and repro :frowning:

What if you build for HTML5?

1 Like

@britzl it is working fine on HTML5, so I guess, issue with my Windows?

It’s a driver issue or something similar. Which version of Defold are you using?

Editor: db55f3faa6347a66d60715dddd9663687d54ceed

When did it stop working?

What if you use a sprite instead of a gui box node? Same thing?

Hmm, can’t say exactly, I noticed it this month, tried to figure out what’s going on on my own for a long before I created the post.

Sprites have no such problem with those atlases.

Could you open up a bundled win32 binary in renderdoc and step through the draw calls? It’s might be a bit tricky to find the exact sprite that’s broken but if you start by getting it up and running in RD we can take it from there

2 Likes

I will try to do this tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes