[SOLVED] How to export Blender animation to DAE and import into Defold

Hi Defold team

I’m new to Defold and am learning to make my first game. I have a single animated mesh object in Blender that I’m trying to bring into Defold. So far it’s not working: I can either import the model in its default pose without any animations or can’t import it at all (error ".dae could not be loaded).

I’ve looked at the documentation, tried baking the animation, used various collada export settings… nothing seems to work.

Attached is the blender file I’m working with. I can’t find any tutorials or documetation to make this work… :cold_sweat:

I’m looking forward to making 3D games with Defold and would like to learn how to do this right. Thanks

enemy_animated2.zip (123.1 KB)

1 Like

Hey, welcome!

Defold is predominantly a 2D game engine. I’d recommend reading through this thread before diving into 3D game making with Defold:

1 Like

Hi @zeke_chan , welcome

As Defold is really not good solution for 3d games. At what kind of 3d game you want to make it depends, But here your solution for exporting dae file from blender

export settings for animation it worked for me

3 Likes

Hey @totebo , thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I’m aware Defold is mainly a 2D game engine. However, I’m more focused on creating hypercasual games rather than full fledged 3d games. Thanks for sharing the discussion link.

1 Like

Thanks @vikash ! I’ll try that out and hope it works

1 Like

That’s great. Then Defold is most likely a great fit. Good luck and look forward to seeing your games in the future!

Hello, I’m still stuck with trying to export my blender animation to collada and bringing it into Defold. I’ve been trying for days now and it’s still not working. If someone could help me resolve this and show me how its done, I would be willing to pay $50 for your time.

What have you tried so far? What is the result when imported into Defold? Can you share the original Blender animation and describe the steps you’ve taken to convert it to something Defold will accept?

enemy_animated2.zip (123.1 KB)

Hi @britzl , thanks for your reply. Attached is the blender file and texture used.

Using blender 2.93:

1. In Object mode, I Select all objects
  2. File > Export > Collada > Use operator defaults. Here are the settings:

3. save as enemy.dae

In Defold:

1. Put the enemy.dae file in the /assets folder
  2. Create a enemy.model file
  3. Create a enemy.animationset file: add enemy.dae to it
  4. In enemy.model:
  • mesh > enemy.dae
  • skeleton > enemy.dae
  • animation > enemy.animationset
  • default animation > enemy

When I put the model in a game object and main.collection then run it, it crashes. I get this error:
Material vertex space option VERTEX_SPACE_LOCAL does not support skinning.

So I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong…

Ok, I finally got it working. My blender animation is successfully exported and running in Defold. My mistake was baking my animation to the object when it I should have baked the animation to the pose.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear you got it working (and sorry for not getting any help here on the forum!).

Actually it’s thanks to coming across this tweet from @yeqwep that helped me figure out where I went wrong. Thanks @yeqwep !

2 Likes