Rebuilding a label letter-by-letter using gui.get_text_metrics_from_node

Hi,

I’m trying to make a sort of text pop but I want to animate each individual character separately so I’m putting each in their own label but the metrics that I get back are not consistent so I can’t replicate the look it would have if the entire word was is in a single label.

When I enter the word in the label and get its width I get 175 back, but when I do the same for the individual characters and add their widths together I get 221. There is little additional information returned by the metrics so I don’t know how to use that info to correctly space the characters next to each other to replicate the original look.

Attached is a screenshot of how it looks if I use the previous character’s width as an offset for the next one (in orange) and how it compares to the original string (in black)

44 57

It really reminds me RichText by @britzl. There are animated words and letters even, so maybe it’s good to compare solutions and see how metrics are parsed there :wink:

3 Likes

So I ended calculating the kerning of each character to determine the spacing between the letters. You can do so by doing the following for each letter:

1. Use a label with the previous substring and another label with the next character to be added and get both of their metrics (previous_width, char_width).
  2. Use a label with the new substring and get its metric (target_width)
  3. The kerning will be something along the lines of (previous_width + char_width) - target_width
  4. The next character position can then be set to start_pos + previous_width - kerning

Note: Spaces will be a special case because they don’t seem to be counted in the metrics if they are ate the end of the substrings.

6 Likes