Questions: Navmesh and Editor extensions

So, I was not able to find any info on 2d topdown AI scene navigation. So, I decided to write my own navigation system. As I find using A* grid algorithm very simple-to-do, I believe I won’t be able to make it efficient enough, so it’s navmesh for me.

As there is no random level generation, I’ll need to place navmesh vertices by hand. Therefore, I need some kind of mesh visualization and editor, that will allow me to add vertices, move and connect them.

Are there any Editor extension manuals? Something simple like drawing lines\text\images inside collection editor would be useful.

So, a ‘business process’ of this extension would look like this:

1. User creates a game object (‘go’) inside the collection.
  2. User adds new component (‘Navigation Mesh’) to the game object. This component is the first thing that should be added by extension and must present custom component -related properties, like ‘Camera’ or ‘Factory’ components.
  3. User selects ‘Navigation Mesh’ component in Outline window. Now comes the magic: extension visualizes component instance data (vertices, edges and faces) inside collection editor window.
  4. User can now manipulate newly drawn objects using default select-move-rotate-scale controls. While one or more ‘Navigation Mesh’ components selected, new tool icon should be displayed at the top right of the window, next to the default widgets, that will allow to make edges between vertices.

I believe it won’t require any platform-specific compilation, as it should write vertex data into a predefined structure. (Or visualize navmesh data from user-selected file)

Editor extensions seem to be a planned feature for Editor 2, but it may be a while.

(from A small wish list for the new year)