A small wish list for the new year

Hey everyone,

I guess 2017 is going to be a really good year for Defold.The engine is super solid even in its current form and with the arrival of Editor 2.0 it’s going to be really fun.

Like anyone else I have a small wish-list for the new year that hopefully will be taken into consideration:

• Integration of services. This is already in the works in the form of plugin extension I guess and has been asked by a lot of people already. I think there’s potential here for offloading this to other developers and keep improving editor and core engine.

• A bit more love on the HTML5 side of the engine. Most publishers and sites requires integration with their own sdks and also being mobile-friendly and HTML5 is a really good market for indies.

• One of the most appealing feature of Unity for me is the ability to script the editor itself. That’s a huge plus because it allows the creation of workflows that most of the time are a one-off for the kind of game you’re working on.
    If I’m working let’s say on a point and click adventure I’d like to be able to create the tools I need to setup rooms, pathfinding, dialogues, etc. directly inside Defold without having to create an external tool for it.
    Is the new editor going in this direction?

Lastly some sort of reference/inspiration. The Ubi-Art framework!

Ubi Art framework

Thanks a lot guys for the hard work!

Gian

7 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the great feedback! Some comments on each wish:

• Absolutely, we are putting a lot of efforts into native extensions currently and it’s looking really cool. We did a hack prototype of it in the summer and aim for an internal non-hacky prototype before this year ends. I’m really excited about how it will be received and what people will do with it.
  • Down the line we will find out what needs to be done here, either through the extension system or the HTML5 support itself for people to be able to do these integrations. We are aware it’s important.
  • User extensions is the biggest reason we made Editor2 at all, and funny enough Ubi Art was a big inspiration and even a demo we planned to do before all the delays of the project. Once we have released it and made enough workflow improvements, we will start working on user extensions for the editor/pipeline as well. Maybe accompanied by something as cool as the Ubi Art demo?
7 Likes