Jerakin's editor scripts

I have been updating my post Editor Scripts 🔥: Alpha Release but it’s getting quite burried so I decided to move them into new topic, I will update this topic with any extensions I create.

Working Extensions

These all works (to variable degrees) and could be used in production.

editor-script-check-dependencies-versions

This extension requires python to be installed. It print the status of your dependencies as an easy way to see if they are up to date or not.
Future plans: If/When #2798 is fixed (need http support in editor_scripts) I plan to convert it to pure lua.

Example output:

Project 'defold-clipboard' is up to date.

Project 'defold-lfs' is outdated, latest version is
  https://github.com/britzl/defold-lfs/archive/1.0.1.zip

Project 'extension-gps' is up to date.

editor-script-monarch

This extension is in pure lua and adds functionality to create a monarch scene from a gui file.

editor-script-atlas

This extension is in pure lua, adds functionality for creating new atlases and adding images to already existing atlases.

editor-script-align

This extension is in pure lua, it adds menu buttons under Edit for aligning gui nodes. But currently it is very limited as I can not get parent of a node #2815 or all properties from the outline #2819. I also only take Z rotation into account.
Future plans: With #2819 and #2815 I will be able to actually make this useful.

editor-script-distribute

This extension is in pure lua, it adds menu buttons under Edit for distributing gui nodes evenly. It is currently limited in the same way as editor-script-align
Future plans: With #2819 and #2815 I will be able to actually make this useful.

editor-script-components

This extension is in pure lua, it adds functionality for creating a new resource depending on selected component(s). Future plans: Add more resource types

WIP/Example Extension(s)

These are very much WIP. They still require a bit of work before they can work as dependencies (they will probably work if you add them as folders, download as zip and unpack into your game). Some issues that are blocking progress on these are #2821, #2822

editor-script-cleanup

Adds functionality for helping you clean up your project. It uses Python 3.5+ (3.7 recommended) and DefTree.
Future plans: Would be awesome to convert it into pure lua but I think that’s only feasible if we get access to Protobufs (combined with a way to read them/use lua-profobuf).

12 Likes

Gread job @Jerakin
i think Defold needs a separate section in Asset portal for Editor scripts, generally i think asset portal needs a rework

0 Likes

Excellent idea!

What did you have in mind specifically?

1 Like

split this topic #4

A post was split to a new topic: Improvements to the Asset Portal

0 Likes

Agree about the separate section. Would be nice to have integrated in the editor too?

My worry is that functionality will look fragmented, especially to relatively new users.

And I would also expect some of this extensions to make it into the editor itself, if they are tackling core functionalities (object snapping and aligning for example).

1 Like