Is there a tutorial on building a 3d game?

Hello everyone,
I was building my WEBGL game prototype in Godot, and after it systematically refused to work properly in HTML5 on a server, I finally decided to reassemble everything in Defold. I’ve had previous experience builting LUA text games, so code-wise I’m expecting to get re-used to it soon.
gameproto

Basically I need Operator, Cinematic Walker and Illumination to reconstruct the game mechanics I need. I downloaded those components. And… what do I do next? All tutorials seem to be around 2D.

What to I start with, if I need the above-mentioned components together?

I find that this library may suit with you https://github.com/astrochili/defold-kinematic-walker

1 Like

Yeah, I downloaded it already. So I take it as main template and add the other two (Illumination and Operator) to the project?

Or you follow the instructions to add those as libraries in your project. But the example is still a good start

1 Like

I’m reading the manual, following the instructions, but still I gotta say, while there’s quite a lot of tutorials on 2D, the 3D elements are quite counterintuitive and REALLY do require some sort of basic tutorial.

I can’t even find the 3d editor camera controls, how can I rotate camera? How do I bring three libraries together?

Yes, there are not a lot of 3D tutorials unfortunately.

You can put it into a game object and then rotate the game object.

Just grab the github archive url of each library and put those as dependencies in game.project as mentioned in the Install section

1 Like

Now I understand from here what exactly you are talking about. Your thoughts make sense – a kinematic character controller, 3D lights and shadows, and camera functions are pretty basic things with established standard practices. As Defold grows for developing 3D games, we’ll need more resources on getting a 3D game set up, akin to 2D game materials.

One challenge is that 3D in Defold is in a bit of flux currently, as the developers are putting some emphasis into developing it. :thinking: Resources could quickly become dated. The camera module and its relationship to the render script changed not long ago.

My honest feeling is that you’re early for the show. Grab a seat, and welcome. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi, If you really want to connect these libraries together, just start with an example project of Illumination, because:

• The Operator example is self-contained (just a dependency on Pointer Lock)
  • The Kinematic Walker example uses Operator.
  • The Illumination example uses both Kinematic Walker and Operator.

But I think it would be useful to start with something simpler, like general purpose Defold manuals to understand how the editor and the game engine works first, then it will be easier to get started with 3D.

4 Likes