Introduce yourself

I’m new to Defold, I found out this engine through Google while searching for “Engines to make 2D mobile games”. I have never heard of Defold, and now I have. Yet, I am not new to “Lua” since I’ve coded a discord bot using luvit once, and I also develop games from Roblox (I hope you don’t make fun of me for that) it looks like Defold’s editor seems to have the same layout with Unity but less complexity.

So uh… I hope you guys can help me out when I’m having some problems while working on my games since I’m new to this, thanks!

Edit: After I spent time creating this topic the app just went completely frozenimage

7 Likes

Welcome @RomDino!

2 Likes

Hello there, my name is Parvati and I’m new to Defold. I am currently living in Italy I’ve got some hobbies: playing the guitar, singing, painting. I also enjoy learning languages. I’ve already learnt a little bit of German and now I’m in the process of learning Italian. I go now to Italian language school http://fda-sanremo.com/ and work as a tutor (not a whole day though). What are you interested in?

8 Likes

Hi @Parvati_Khatri! fun too meet you! Hope to see you sooner in the forum!
:grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold: :grin::defold:

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’m Juan, I live in Montevideo, Uruguay. I just found out about Defold about a month ago and have started a bullet hell like game with it and am impressed with how well organized things are in the editor and how easy it is to program interactions between components.

Also it’s really cool how useful and active the forum is, as for this month, i’ve been developing non-stop and every doubt I had, I found info here, so cheers!

I worked previously (many years ago) on unreal, cocos2d and swift.
I’m trying to focus more on PC now.

I work in an online betting company atm, and working on this game on my spare time.
Nice to meet you all, see you around in the forum!

10 Likes

hello everyone, I am David from Indonesia. I just learn Defold :smile:

4 Likes

Hello Juan! Good luck with your game.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum David!

3 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m Roman from Saint-Petersburg and I’m an iOS developer at my main job. But I make some small indie apps and games in my spare time.

Previously I finished one game made with Unity, a couple of iOS/macOS native apps and few game jam entries with LÖVE. So I have experience with an Objective C + Swift pair and a bit of C# and Lua.

Why did I decide to start to learn Defold? After I switched to Swift at my main job, I could no longer like languages without clear and elegant syntax. I also wanted some more lightweight solution than Unity for my 2D games.

It was 2 years ago, there was no new Defold Editor yet, so I found LÖVE and Lua. Just code in the text editor and run the game from the terminal, it sounded like a dream to me. But the lack of stable plugins, useful instruments and unconfidence in the engine in some cases pushed me forward.

And now I’m here and learn Defold after 2 years of idle. I want to make a text adventure or a point and click game as a first project. Anyway, that will be something small and of course, I will try to share my experience with you when I do something expressive.

Thank you guys for the engine and the community. But to be honest, I am a little scared by these cuts in web-hosting and marketing costs. Anyway, I hope that everything will be fine with the engine, I wish it became a successful product.

7 Likes

Welcome and good luck with your first project!

You mean the shutdown of the project dashboard?

Marketing costs?

1 Like

I mean I remember that two years ago Defold was making some promotion events but now it doesn’t happen. I understand that it was a not so ready to promote engine as it is today. Maybe it’s a reason why there is no marketing right now. I don’t know the inner workings of King, but I guess there is no reasons to spend money to promote the engine if it doesn’t have any monetization or significant expansion of popularity among developers by this way.

So I thought, is the fact that Defold is also an internal instrument of King the main reason why it has a tech support today? Or does King have any other plans when and how to promote the engine in the future? :face_with_monocle:

I’ll really glad if everything goes on as it is now. But there are no things that can stand still, they always change by time, in one direction or another. Whether it’ll be mainly as internal King’s tool, or it’ll turn into something more like a famous commercial product - I will be glad to any of these cases. I hope this will be one of these two ways :innocent:.

1 Like

This is true. We’ve never had a goal to grow the user base into any huge numbers as we haven’t had any intention to monetize it. It is free and is likely to stay that way. But when we released the engine back in 2016 there was obviously a need to promote the engine a lot more to get developers to try it. And now that we have a fairly steady user base we have also decided to not market it aggressively. We’re thankful that our core of developers help us advocate for Defold and promote it when they can.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I am brand new to Lua and Defold. :smiley:

I do a bit of freelance work with Python 3 but want to eventually get into indie game design and chose Defold to be my engine. So right now I’ll be busy learning Lua but soon hopefully I’ll also be learning Defold!

Wish me luck :yum:

12 Likes

Hey welcome to Defold !

Pythonist here too :smiley:
Mostly for hobby projects and tooling.

Just for being curious, What inspired you to Defold ?

4 Likes

Welcome @MadDev90 and good luck!

2 Likes

Hi! I’ve been here a while but don’t think I have introduce myself.

I’m a front-end developer that doubles as a game developer and animator. I work at Fully Studios in Gothenburg, Sweden, and also at our game company Wishfully Studios on the game Planet of Lana.

I mostly use Defold for web related project due to it’s excellent performance using WebAssembly instead of just JavaScript. Currently we’re in the final sprint of releasing a project in Stockholm for New Years. So if you’re in Stockholm you will be able to see real-time user generated fireworks at all big AD screens around town, using Defold engine.

15 Likes

Welcome @jonas.sandstedt!

I’m going to keep my eyes out for these fireworks!! :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Happy New Year Everyone!

I’m Balazs and I discovered Defold last year.
Currently I’m prototyping an experimental game with it.

There’s a lot of learning involved, but I really enjoy the process.

A great thanks to everyone making tutorials, assets and examples. They are of invaluable help.

Happy Defolding to all in 2020!

7 Likes

Welcome @balazsa! And good luck with your project!

4 Likes

@Kong_Ah This smells like spam. I removed the link you posted. Please tell us why you’re interested in Defold and your game dev experience.

6 Likes