Introduce yourself

Welcome @dexatron Defold is already great and its future looks bright!

Welcome @Rukiri yes it is super great that King is being so generous with other developers and giving us a dream game creation tool!

4 Likes

Hello! I’m Anders and I’m a hobbyist/wannabe amateur developer on my spare time, my day job is maintanance of small scale hydropower plants. I’m very new to proper programming and have until now been using Game Maker Studio (1 and 2) and its built in gml language.

I have followed the first tutorial “Sidescroller” and must admit I was a bit overwhelmed but the complexity but hopefully I will get more confident, just need to find some good beginner step by step tutorials to learn from.

Defold is an impressive engine and I hope to be able to make some games with it down the road.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum Anders!

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Manuel and I started to code in BASIC 32 years ago, when I was a child, and since I learned a lot of different programing languages just for fun, but I never worked as a full-time developer.

I wanted to make my owns games and live from them since the first time I played one, on my humble amstrad cpc 464, but the universe had a different opinion :slight_smile:
A lot of abandoned projects after my first attempt, and some ended but unpublished projects, I’m here using Defold and I really enjoy it!
I played with some other engines and developed some on my own (very simple engines) in various languages (c/c++, c#, Java, Objective-c) but I never published a game so, maybe this time?

I hope someday I could fulfill my dream.

Manuel

9 Likes

Welcome @mpoley!
I hope to see your creations on this forum soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I’m Edwin from Kazakhstan. I have no experience with Lua, but only some things making on GameMaker: Studio. I love GML and Lua of course, and they are my favourite programmng languages. I like forums about game development and this forum is not an exception :smile:

I hope you’ll allow me discuss programming things here,

Edwin.

9 Likes

Definitely! Welcome on board Edwin :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Edwin. And I bet that you’re going to love this forum. :smile:

6 Likes

Welcome Edwin! :slight_smile: Don’t forget that we have a slack channel as well: https://www.defold.com/slack/

4 Likes

Hi!
I’m Agnis Aldins (“NeZvers”) from Latvia. I’ve got into game development last february with Gamemaker. Prior that I had basic C++ (data structures), html, php knowledge. I poked at Godot and Unity and considering to get into 3D with Unreal. Although I’m a hardcore retro pixel art game lover, so my main interest is 2d games and it seems I’m going to switch to Defold for that.
As I’m wrapping up my knowledge with Gamemaker I’m putting together 2D platformer game engine (all polished game features included I can put) that I will use to “Port” to Defold and I’d like to make tutorial series for it.

On sidenote, I am Jack of all trades master of none type of guy. I love making music (EDM, Metal), I do sound design, I do music recording, mixing, mastering and I have a bedroom recording studio. So maybe I could do teaming up in gamedev with that skillset.

9 Likes

Welcome @NeZvers! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums @NeZvers

2 Likes

Hello!

A long time developer working on my first 2D indie game (crazy I know). For me Defold was the obvious choice for a developing something 2D based - it does what you want without getting in the way.

Having lurked here for a bit, I also appreciate the value of the friendly community that has built up around the engine. This really can’t be overstated.

In any event, I will share how I get on & perhaps ask the odd dumb question along the way.

Cheers

13 Likes

Hi and welcome @TheCodeRover!
Looking forward to seeing your games! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Guys, My name is Stuart, My 7 Year old son Kal-El and I started working on a game idea a week ago.
After coming up with a concept, We started looking for a game engine that would let us be as creative as we wanted
and also allow us to develop a proof of concept in a very short amount of time. We discovered Defold and it is awesome!

A week later We now have a playable, albeit rough around the edges game. It’s an original puzzle game, with a simple but unique mechanic.
We use an iPad pro for debugging and testing and have had loads of fun doing so, especially overcoming problems and blockers, which for me
is the most rewarding part of development.

I currently work in the DevOps space as a contractor and all my experience comes from developing business oriented applications and services,
So my approach to games is very much inline with what I know, which is making data driven, user friendly and intuitive programs.

Being between contracts right now has given me the opportunity to teach my son while learning some new things myself and I love it! I just wish I could do it full-time.

Thank you for reading, now let’s make something cool.

15 Likes

@DevDad welcome and good luck to you both!

5 Likes

HI, @TheCodeRover and @DevDad!

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Marko.
I’m a professional software and database developer but in my free time I like to make games.
I started programming games with BASIC on a 25 lines monochromatic monitor. Since then, I used several engines and programming languages like DarkBASIC, C#, WPF, VBA, Unity and now I found Defold and Lua.

Normally I work alone, so I do everything from code to UI to graphics, but my expertise is in this order.

About Defold I like that it has good performance and is multi-platform. Also I like the community with the community game pages. At the moment I struggle with finding the addresses of game objects and gui nodes.

4 Likes

Welcome Marko! Don’t be afraid to ask if you need help! And make sure to read our manuals and give feedback if something is unclear!

Thanks. I think it should be the other way around: Read the manuals, then ask for help.
I already did ask before reading the manual and felt stupid. :wink:
At least I earned the editor badge for deleting my thread. :grin:

2 Likes