Introduce yourself

Hello Guys!! Another newbie alert!! Nice to know you all. Looking froward to make some new friends over here.

5 Likes

Warm welcome, Donna! :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Puppygames will be publishing one or more games made with Defold. Expect to see news here about the project(s) in the near future. :star_struck:

9 Likes

Really cool! Looking forward to updates :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Guys!

My name is Amel van Deutekom and I’m from the Netherlands! I’m a beginner game developer but I do have 3 years of experience with Windows Forms and web development.

I checked out Unity and Corona SDK but I think Defold suits my needs and I was really impressed about this engine just by reading about it.

I’m going to learn Lua and start using this engine today and see how it goes. Bare with me please if I ask a silly question. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @Puppygames and @amel! :smiley:

And remember!

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

:slight_smile: :+1:

8 Likes

I’ve been reading this thread and realized I never introduced myself, even though I’ve been here on and off for months :P.

I found Defold, searching for a well-developed engine with a lively community. I found the website, checked it out, and immediately thought, “Where’s the price tag? This seems perfect for me, but I’m sure I can’t get it because it can’t be free.” At the time I hadn’t a bank account, so I wasn’t able to pay for anything online. Well, turns out Defold is so wonderful and free.

Over the past year I’ve been balancing homework, learning Lua and Defold from documentation, work, and a defold project. This project I hope to eventually sell, and I realize it’s going to take a large chunk of time to get it to that quality and playability, but I’m willing to do that because this is how I’m teaching myself the language and because I honestly long to play it when it’s finished :D.

As you might have “read between the lines,” I haven’t taken programming classes. I’ve taught myself with others’ examples, and many communities have been very kind to lend me help on many different problems. So just know, if you see me asking a very simple question, please have patience because I’m still learning many things ;).

11 Likes

Welcome @Gmanicus! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just realised I haven’t introduced myself here, only two years late… oops!

Hi all,

My name is (surprise!) Mattias Hedberg, I am a Technical Artist at King in the Malmö office. Before I was in the gaming industry I was a 3D artist in commercial but after a few years of doing that I decided I wanted to become a Technical Artist so I did, and I haven’t looked back since! I enjoy making stuff better, be it performance or peoples workflow! I also enjoy helping people so don’t hesitate to ask me anything if you got any questions :slight_smile:

See ya people around!

10 Likes

Hi, I’m Jorin, as you can see. Defold looks promising, though right now it’s throwing me error messages.

4 Likes

Welcome Jorin!

Please ask questions here in the forum or Slack. Include as much information as possible so that we can help you.

2 Likes

Hi! I don’t wanna say my real name so I’m Imim but I just recently started with Defold and it looks really good!
I will ask on the forum if I have any problem!
And hi to you @britzl, you look really good on Defold!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @imim! I hope you’ll enjoy working with Defold. Let us know if you have any questions!

1 Like

Hey. So. I realized I hadn’t written anything here.

Hey. I’m Bob. I’m an Android GDE, Lead for Intels Indie Dev Program, and hobbyist game dev. that’s shipped code in a whole bunch of stuff, though most of it closed source. I now do marketing stuff and I’m not sure how that happened.

I do mobile stuff in Defold and desktop stuff in Love2D. I’ve done stuff in other engines, but didn’t have fun doing it, and being a hobbyist, if I’m not having fun what’s the point?

9 Likes

Hello!

I’m Dan and I joined the Defold engine team a few weeks back. I’ll be helping out fixing bugs and implementing features on the engine side.

The Defold community seems awesome and I hope to contribute to Defold in ways that helps you all make (more) great games.

15 Likes

Hello!
I’m Ziga, hobby game dev with self-thought coding skills. I love doing small interesting games, mostly for mobile. I worked in Unity before but started playing around with Defold 3 days ago, because I wanted to make a FB Instant game.

The community here is awesome! Thanks for all the help and I hope soon I can contribute myself :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hmm… it is day 10 of my DEFOLD experiment. 10th day of lua…

I’ve successfully gotten through about half of the tutorials. The first one I must have lost my place because the second time around I noticed something I did not do the first, and it worked. Eventually I will get to trying some of the others again. There’s a new one today on movement that is quite informative.

My own project is progressing, though sometimes it can feel like pulling teeth.

So far I am happy with defold (and lua), and highly recommend it.

9 Likes

well done psychotropicdog!

People will help you if you ask here. Not me, I know very little, but other people.

4 Likes

Hi @psychotropicdog, and welcome!
Looking forward to seeing your creations as you progress!

2 Likes

Hello folks. I am Ahmed, I am a passionate gamer, but have been a full stack Software Engineer for a while. My passion for gaming is what has motivated me to get into developing games, and I have evaluated a number of tools out there and for some reason have found a home with Defold, and also do stuff with GoDot. So will be in between these 2 engines for now, but really interested in deep diving into Defold further. Aspiring to develop some good games soon.

7 Likes