Defold Editor 2.0

#teaserfriday again!

For this week, here’s a glimpse of the tile-source editor. A notable improvement over the current editor is that we now show consistent colours for collision groups everywhere they are used, including the colouring of collision-objects. Hopefully that will make it a little bit simpler too see that you’ve picked the right groups.

15 Likes

There will be video next week, promise! At least in the form of a gif. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

#teaserfriday!!!

3D!!!

3D in 2D!!!

What’s being shown:

• Collada model with custom shader and evaluated in the editor (face borrowed from Lee Perry-Smith)
  • Nifty camera tumbling
  • Nifty camera realign command
  • 3D support for the scene widgets, i.e. translation, rotation, etc
16 Likes

Also, following up on the current status… It’s really great to be back to work again. :slight_smile:

What’s left:

• Tile map editor (@Ragnar_Dahlen is finishing up)
  • Error handling - requires a bit redesign from unforeseen consequences. A subtle change is required but needs to be thought through since it has rippling effects in the app architecture.
  • In-place editing, required for:
    • Animation previewing (atlas/tile sources)
    • View filtering

And of course:

• Testing and bug fixing (@Erik_Angelin is back, fixing bugs in the text editor)
  • Various polishing/packaging

Like I said a month ago, I expect external testing to start really really soon, like in two weeks! :slight_smile: I wonder if there is anyone who still believes in my time estimates. :confused:

17 Likes

I Believe, I believe and i wan to believe !!!

2 week release 2 week release :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

#teaserfriday

Sorry for this shitty non-visual #teaserfriday but this time the teaser is about next friday! That is when we aim to start with the external testing of editor2. In order for you to follow this more closely, I have made a google doc which will reflect our internal jira as we go through next week.
The purpose of this round of testing is to find critical platform issues, help with issue reporting, some first impressions, etc. so it will not be completely open yet (probably have you request access to the download-links, or something simple like that). There are a lot of things we have left to do in editor2, but we still really want to get this software out as soon as possible. Everyone is pretty sick of waiting by now. :confounded:

If you are interested in joining this early testing, we would be incredibly grateful! We will post more info as we go through next week to see where we are and how this will work exactly.

21 Likes

nice share thx you

2 Likes

Any speculated release date, or is it too early?

1 Like

We’ve had many speculated release dates, the first one being late spring 2015. :disappointed: It’s proven to be incredibly difficult to estimate because of how much RnD was required to complete it. We are pretty badly hurt by having to make two editors simultaneously so we are putting a lot of effort into shipping it for real as soon as possible. Realistically it needs to be out in the wild for a few months to ensure it can replace the current one for production purposes.

5 Likes

thats terrible Ragnar~~
I saw on the google doc you put up earlier that you guys arent testing (STATUS UNKNOWN) on linux right?
I have been working on defold almost everyday, and I use windows and linux all the time (most linux, like 70% of the time) so I could fill that part in~~~
I almost sure I won’t go back to the old editor because of the online dependency aspect of it… XD

3 Likes

I really appreciate that and thanks for your concern! We will test on all platforms during next week but it would be great with further testing help. I’m pretty confident most of the app will run equally well on every platform with the exception of:

• The launcher - a cpp program that boots the app and handles rebooting from downloaded updates
  • Graphics - driver dependent but it’s basically the same OpenGL features as the current editor
  • Native libraries - e.g. simulating particlefx, but also same approach as current editor in this regard

And then we have Windows where I bet we will have one or more issues with back-slashed paths, the registry and possibly different access/admin rights etc. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I will keep the doc updated with status as we know more.

Edit: Yesterday I added the linux 64 target to the CI system, and obtained the world’s first binary of Editor2 for linux64. And it f*cking worked for all the bullets mentioned above. I have never seen that before and it tells me that we are in for something really aweful that we have yet not seen. Software dev is never this easy. I should also add that a few issues prevented me from thorough testing (like actually running a game), so the story is not over. Looking good so far though! :slight_smile:

Edit2: The system I tested on was Ubuntu 64 on a new Dell laptop, so to say that it “works for linux64” is clearly an overstatement. :flushed:

11 Likes

Awesome, cannot wait to try this Editor out. This Friday, you say :))

3 Likes

We had a meeting yesterday, one of the things brought up was that we need to be better at “expectation management”, and I’m the first to admit I’m not really good at that. :blush: It’s hard when you get really excited about stuff, like mr. Molyneux. :slight_smile: Anyway, it’s great that you want to try it out! Just be aware that there is a lot left to do on it, quite rough around the edges so to speak.

6 Likes

So… Should we expect to use the new editor Friday, rough edges and all… or not? Here’s your big chance to manage my expectations ;p

3 Likes

Will the new editor have any of these debugging features?

• Set breakpoints before/during debugging

• Step in/over/out

• Run to cursor, break and continue

• Review call stack

• Inspect/modify variables

3 Likes

As I wrote in the original post regarding this friday, the purpose is to get help testing and finding issues. For that reason it will not be open to everyone yet, to avoid misunderstandings of what it’s supposed to be and what the status is.

1 Like

Yes, but not for pretty long. You will still need to use ZeroBrane to have that functionality.

1 Like

We are now finally at a point where it makes sense to start the external testing phase. If you want to help out, we would greatly appreciate it. If so, send me a PM and I will give further instructions. There are still plenty of issues to fix and we hope you will find and report even more.

Some things to note:

• It’s not ready for efficient usage and production purposes
  • Editor2 will send errors to sentry.io, without asking for permissions (not implemented yet)
  • It helps if you are comfortable with git, or avoid pushing to your repository (data could be broken)
  • It’s 100% compatible with Editor1, but bugs might make that statement temporarily false

A rough outline of the plan forward is:

• Fix issues
  • Implement remaining features that we have in Editor1
  • Release it for real
  • Work on UX/workflow improvements
  • Start working on larger new features
14 Likes

Newly leaked screenshot of Editor 2’s GUI:

20 Likes

When do we join the Editor 2.0 party?

3 Likes