GameKit and Google Play Services

We are planning some futures for the future but we can’t give you any timeline yet.

Any news about GameKit?

No, no news I’m afraid. Me and @AGulev will work on Google Play Game Services this sprint though!

5 Likes

That’s great news. Thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any (good) news about GPGS :thinking:?

I’ve started integration and even have a proof of concept version - it works. But then I switched to another issue with a higher priority.

I’ll back to the issue in the next sprint (in a week).

The current plan of GPGS feature integration:

• Authorization
  • Cloud save
  • Achievements
  • Leaderboards
10 Likes

Thanks a lot for this great news. I’ll be waiting for this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any update on this?

On Google Play Game Services? We released a first version a while ago:

3 Likes

Sorry, no, on the Gamekit extension.

1 Like

Oh, ok, no update then. We have not taken any decision or have it close at hand in our roadmap to add Game Center support (of which GameKit is a part).

2 Likes

Understood! It feels like the game services are a big part missing from Defold. I would be reluctant to release a game on iOS, because my games tend to rely on cloud save for progress and use leaderboards and achievements as retention mechanics.

There are other game services available, like PlayFab, but to me it makes sense to use the native platform ones because they’re recognisable to the player, which might mean less friction. Also because it’s there is no need to code a custom leaderboard GUI, which speeds up development.

1 Like

For anyone interested in a Game Center extension for Defold, I’ve started to recode the full iOS GameKit extension I wrote for Corona back in 2016:
http://animonger.com/overview-ios-gamekit-plugin/
I need Game Center for a Defold game I want to release so I’m going to make a full iOS/OSX GameKit extension and put it on the Defold Asset portal when it’s completed. Apple has deprecated and added quite a bit code since 2016 but I should be able to figure it out. Really like the Defold Native Extension design so that will make it much easier to write.
Once I finish the following features: Authentication, Leaderboards, Achievements and Save Game Data, I’ll push it to my github account and get feedback from the community on what features to add next.

14 Likes

This is great! Good luck! Let us know if you get stuck and need help.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll be sure to reach out if I run into any difficulty.

2 Likes

Hi @animonger, how did you get on with the iOS Game Center port?

Hi @totebo, I’m finishing up the docs for the macOS and iOS GameKit Game Center features I’ve integrated so far: Players, Leaderboards, Achievements, View Controllers and Errors.
I’ll make a dedicated forum post within the next couple of days with more info and links when the docs are completed. After that, I’ll work on possible GameKit features to be integrated : Real-Time Matches, Challenges, Player Invitations, Notifications, Entitlements, Turn-based Games and Save Game Data.

4 Likes

Beautiful! Thanks for the update.

Wow, great news! Don’t forget to submit it to the Asset Portal as well!

1 Like

Ok, I posted a release to github. I’ll be sure to add it to the Asset Portal in the near future:

4 Likes