Directional platforms help

Haha! If it actually mattered at all, I would definitely argue with that issue tag. :slight_smile:

It seems interesting. It seems like heā€™s focused on the ā€œskinā€ interactions, which I donā€™t think would help at all with higher gravity or lower frame rate, but I havenā€™t managed to muddle through his whole explanation yet.

2 Likes

He he he! I think whatā€™s important is how itā€™s solved. Would love to have a solid fix for this, rather than a complicated workaround.

It looks like newer versions of Box2D avoid this problem by using edge/chain shapes rather than polygon shapes. This and other possible fixes are discussed here.

Which version of Box2D does Defold use?

We use a very old and slightly modified version of Box2D 2.1 (hides)

Oh no! I guess there is a reason for not using a later version? 2.1 doesnā€™t appear to have edge/chain shapes.

I believe 2.1 was the version available when 2D physics was added to the engine.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good reason. :smiley:

Would be great to use a newer version that supports edge and chain shapes, in case there is ever an opportunity to support those!

Would it be possible to update Box2D? It may be that the tunneling issues happen because of the older version of Box2D? And it would allow for chain shapes to be supported.

1 Like

It would not be trivial. We have modified Box2D so itā€™s not like weā€™d only have to update some source and header files or link against a new pre built lib.

And I have a long list of things with higher priority than a Box2D update Iā€™m afraidā€¦ BUT if thereā€™s anyone out there with plenty of experience working with the C version of Box2D Iā€™d like to get in touch. I would be willing to discuss a collaboration around an upgrade somehow.

5 Likes