Defold keeps asking me to install git

I already have git and the xcode cli tools installed, but for some reason defold keeps asking me for it. I already had them installed when this first showed, any idea on how I can stop this from showing? I have tried clicking install after this shows but it keeps happening.

0 Likes

Git prompts to install something every time I open Defold

Also sorry about the image being in portuguese.

0 Likes

Does creating a .git directory in the project folder make it stop?

What happens when you do this in terminal?

git --version
0 Likes

On projects where I am using git, it still happens so I guess creating a .git directory does not make it stop.

0 Likes

Try to run Defold editor from the terminal, does it mention anything about git there?

0 Likes

It does not ask me for installing it and seems to detect that I have git installed.

0 Likes

Beat you to it!

At least I’m not alone.

0 Likes

Tried seeing if anyone had it too but it seems I’m really bad searching.

0 Likes

So I’m probably gonna make an alias for defold and use it to open it through the terminal, if this is the only way for not having that show up.

0 Likes

Thanks for the help @Pkeod!

0 Likes

I’ve started getting this popup every time I open Defold, no matter how many times I install the darn thing.

Not a big deal, but wondered if someone had come across it and knew a quick solution to not have it trigger Every. Single. Time.

0 Likes

@totebo and @EdSwordsmith I assume both of you are running Catalina? This is very likely yet another side-effect of the terrible macOS notarization process that all apps have to go through.

The strange thing is that I’m not experiencing it myself.

Ok, classic tech support question: Have you restarted your computer?

Do you have Defold “installed” in /Applications?

What about XCode and the XCode command line tools? (they really shouldn’t be needed though)

BTW, when I do git --version I get:

git version 2.21.1 (Apple Git-122.3)

Have you installed a Git version using brew or something?

0 Likes

I am running Catalina, I have restarted my computer, will do it again. Defold is installed in Applications and I have both XCode and XCode Command Line Tools. And yes I am using git from homebrew.

0 Likes

Restarted again and still happens

0 Likes

I was getting the same issue (+ opening the files in vscode also asked for the git install). After installing a macOS and Xcode (pending) update seems to fix it. (I’m not sure tho. I’ll update here if the problem gets back)

EDIT: problem still persists

1 Like

@totebo are you using a git version other than the one shipped with Catalina/xcode?

0 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, how can I check? I use Bitbucket, maybe that counts?

Edit:

0 Likes

do git --version and see the output

1 Like

Ok so it does not seem to have to do with using the git from the Xcode cli or using from homebrew.

0 Likes

I’m also getting this. I just ignored the dialogue and the editor’s git integration still works fine

2 Likes