Defold 1.2.182 BETA

Defold 1.2.182 BETA

The latest beta is now released, and we invite those interested in beta testing the new features in the editor and engine to join now.
The beta period will be 2 weeks and the next planned stable release is two weeks from now.

We hope this new workflow will highlight any issues earlier, and also get valuable feedback from our users. And please comment if you come up with ideas on improving on this new workflow.

Please report any engine issues in this thread or in issues using Help -> Report Issue

Thx for helping out!

Disclaimer

This is a BETA release, and it might have issues that could potentially be disruptive for you and your teams workflow. Use with caution. Use of source control for your projects is strongly recommended.

Access to the beta

Download the editor or bob.jar from http://d.defold.com/beta/

Set your build server to https://build-stage.defold.com

Release notes

We’ve enabled dynamic physics transforms by default. This is more in line with the fact that you can scale the gameobject and it’s children (e.g. sprite)
You can disable this feature using the physics.allow_dynamic_transforms property.

PVRTC and ETC1/ETC2 compression now default to Basis UASTC compression (using appropriate RGB/RGBA format on the target device).

In an effort to mitigate some of the OpenGL problems some users have experienced, we’re now changed approach a little bit.
The engine now first tries to get an OpenGL 3.3 Core profile. If it fails, it will then try to get a OpenGL 3.1 forward compatible profile.
Please let us know if the engine still won’t be able to create a window for you. And if so, please supply the list of supported OpenGL versions on your platform.

Work in Progress

We’re currently working on implementing Rive app support in our engine. This work touches many areas of the code: editor, pipeline, resources and rendering.
One aspect we’re focusing on is the rendering techniques involved to do this.
We’re working closely with the Rive team to figure out the best approach.

Another part of this is introducing new API’s into our pipeline, in order to add/replace functionality when it comes to content processing, loading and rendering in game.

Engine

• Issue-3289 - Added: Update sound from stringbuffer

• Issue-5705 - Added: Added support for multi-line dependencies

• Issue-5751 - Added: NE: Added dmScript::CheckGOInstance which allows you to get a game object instance in a script

• Issue-5613 - Fixed: Fix for crackling sounds when speed != 1.0

• Issue-5621 - Fixed: Depth/stencil render buffer fix on macOS/iOS

• Issue-5639 - Fixed: Added support for BC7 textures on HTML5

• Issue-5676 - Fixed: Add Screen blend mode everywhere Multiply is already available.

• Issue-5690 - Fixed: Do not create a DNS channel on iOS (avoids network permission popup)

• Issue-5692 - Fixed: Added dithering to 16bpp image formats

• Issue-5694 - Fixed: Implement the Weld joint for 2D physics

• Issue-5698 - Fixed: Pass build server url user info as basic auth

• Issue-5707 - Fixed: NE: Added .proto files to dmSDK

• Issue-5713 - Fixed: Increased gui node index range to 13 bits (8192 values)

• Issue-5720 - Fixed: Copy Android assets from extender build.zip

• Issue-5721 - Fixed: Added missing API docs

• Issue-5730 - Fixed: NE: Duplicate symbols (Texture::Texture) when building vulkan extension on windows

• Issue-5735 - Fixed: Only select PVRTC transcoding if the texture is square

• Issue-5738 - Fixed: HTML5: Updated deprecated calls to allocate()

• Issue-5739 - Fixed: Sprite component no longer updates vertex/index buffer with no data (HTML5 performance fix)

• Issue-5742 - Fixed: Win32 Build-and-Run now uses debug symbols to generate symbolicated callstacks

• Issue-5743 - Fixed: Enable dynamic physics transforms by default

• Issue-5744 - Fixed: Fixed dynamic updates of mesh buffers

• Issue-5753 - Fixed: ETC+PVRTC formats now use UASTC compression

• Issue-5756 - Fixed: Try OpenGL 3.3 Core profile first with fallback to 3.1 compat profile

Editor

• Issue-5695 - Fixed: Sign Windows Editor for stable releases
  • Issue-5716 - Fixed: Editor now unpacks the entire build.zip into the project build folder
  • Issue-5681 - Fixed: Fixed autocomplete of while

update 2021-04-20:

• Issue-5748 - Fixed : NE: Fixed issue with dmBuffer handle becoming zero

update 2021-05-01:

• Issue 5783 : Fixed: Issue 5783: When using --use-vanilla-lua with bob.jar, the Lua files are stored in unencrypted source format
  • Issue ****: Fixed: Removed c-ares dns lookup library
23 Likes

No sprite trimming :sob:

1 Like

This is amazing change
No more problems with large number of elements in list and richtext

5 Likes

Remind me again which issue it is you are referring to?

Aha! It seems like a sign to me :wink: I should back to my gui-only “color by number” prototype
And… any news about D8 on Android?

1 Like

D8 support is still on hold for a little while.
By increasing the build tool number for Android, internal addresses started to increase well above the 47 bit range supported by LuaJIT 2.0.3 beta. Which means we need to update to a much newer LuaJIT version, which is now a task we need to be done first.

5 Likes

Tell me please how’s it going the texture compression question (in particular, to bring back webp_lossy as an option) still working on 1.2.179 because of it… :hushed: (also I haven’t seen the issue on github about it in to-do section)

Well, other issues have been taking precedence, but we’ll look into it for sure.
Given that we’re adding a new api for our pipeline, I’m more keen to add the WebP functionality there to be honest, rather than putting it back into the core engine.

4 Likes

It’s not an issue. It a feature. :sob:

To be serious, maybe a project demo or something like that to help speed up that sprite alpha trimming feature? We really need that since we have 2 projects with a tons of “untrimmed” atlases. One of those projects was put on hold due to many reasons, but sprite trimming was not the least one.

1 Like

Many thanks!

3 Likes

It’s incredible how the game engine is growing! I think it has surpassed Godot in many aspects! Well, only the editor could see some improvements, besides that, everything looks fine :grinning:

It’s very good for many indies devs.

3 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

We’re currently in the process of securing development time on the editor to handle the most urgent issues. It will take another few months before we see any major changes, but we really do want to be able to give the editor a bit of love!

4 Likes

thanks for all! how about add visual joints editor? :heart:

1 Like

Yes, that would be nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I try to build old project with 1.2.182 beta I get the following errors:

1 Like

Saw something similar (not quite). Old project builds & run from editor without errors. But bundle has failed with message:

1 Like

Possibly related to this? :slight_smile:

1 Like