Can Defold handle this performance wise?

I am not allowed to hand over any design documentation because of IP concerns. I can give you more information though. We have a top down view pure 2 dimensional. Camera should be able to zoom in and out as well as up down left right movement. Various randomly generated map sizes anywhere from 500 hexes to a few thousand hexes.

The hexes would be the main view of the game that would also have various buttons along the top for different things such as a research screen an empire management screen covering income, expenses, tax sliders etc. a seperate view for looking at all of the fleets or planets under your control where you can set orders, build queues and worker management. Clicking on a star would bring up a solar system view with planets in orbit around the sun. basically your standard 4x game stuff like stellaris, masters of orion, or galactic civilizations. Need to have good performance on both low and high end machines.

A ship construction scene is important. Being able to build things in space on the main map is also important like mining stations at asteroid belts or space stations etc. All maps will be randomly generated as well so no pre done maps. Looking at 6 to 8 predone races with the ability to create custom races as well.

Combat is simple real time combat where you can give simple orders like who to attack and range control and maybe some buttons for special things individual ships may have. probably the least important thing for the game out of everything is a zoomable camera so long as we can set it out far enough to see a good portion of the map while close enough to see details.

My concern with if defold can handle this or not is simply the amount of resources required for the game as well as just how big the maps can get.

3 Likes

I am building a game with more stuff going on than that and it works fine. Note though that there is no engine culling available atm so you might need to do some simple custom Lua culling on off-screen stuff, or maybe not.

Awesome😂 thats good to know

Just to clarify, OpenGL’s standard normal-based culling still works fine for 3d right? Are the vertexes ordered right in the default sprite / tile meshes to allow for culling?

Sounds as an ambitious project! Please let us know how you’re doing and do ask questions on the forums. Defold team is here to help and advice.

Sure, GL will cull. But if you have massive amounts of stuff off screen it might be worth it to disable those game objects.

1 Like

Alright, good to know. And yeah, offscreen stuff is a whole different matter :slight_smile:

Will do thanks :slight_smile: