Writing a book on Defold

Well, didn’t you purchase the book as a pre-order? It might be a little unreasonable to expect flexibility like that in a product that’s still a work in progress.

2 Likes

Hi Travis,

If you don’t mind, could you make a new thread and address all of these issues so that discussion for them can take place in its own space? I have my own way of looking at things based on what I know, but others, especially those on the Defold team, can offer much better insight that can be helpful, and I’d like to hear what they have to say too. For example, with the input issues, I think making an all in one manager for different classes of elements is a good idea. I get that idea that you’re using message passing for other features too and may be doing things the hard way, could you clarify where exactly it’s not working for you? Defold is still relatively young so many things that are pain points to devs have yet to be addressed, but with everyone helping it’s getting better and better. If you have any more specific questions please do ask!

I’m working full time on the book this weekend and I’ll get those chapters (9 for message passing, 15 for cameras, correct?) up as individual PDFs as soon as I can.

3 Likes

Pkeod,

message passing, cameras, and how lua works with defold which is chapter 27 in the initial version of the book cause lua seems to be diffferent in defold.

Lukas,
I am not asking for flexability at all, I was asked what parts were most important to me. I still really don’t think that defold will work for my project though. Also I was pointing out that I am not upset as I understand these things take time, but am instead probably going to have to move to a different engine/toolset/framework to make my project. I do not want a refund or anything either as with the current lack of information/ tutorials for defold I think the book is a great project and still want to see it get written even if I can not make use of it at this time.

1 Like

Travis, I’m sorry if you feel that Defold isn’t the right tool for you. Remember that Defold is a tool among many. I don’t expect Defold to be able to solve all problems and allow everyone to create the games of their dreams. You should use the tool you are most comfortable with. I would however encourage you to post your questions one by one on the forum. Maybe we can help explain certain things you are uncertain of?

3 Likes

I posted in a new thread titled can defold handle this or something close to that in the questions section the basic design idea behind the project to see if people hopefully devs would know if this is something that defold can do. Here is a link to the thread. Can Defold handle this performance wise? Mostly the biggest thing that I still cant wrap my head around is the message passing system.

Lukas, that’s not the problem. I think I understand Travis, also as a buyer, I’ve been waiting for updates, but none came. The PDF is still the first version, although Pkeod promised several times “the next day” we would see an updated version. Making a promise that you don’t keep is exceptionally bad, especially when you make it many times over two months (May 17, May 20, May 23, May 28, etc.).
The last messages from Pkeod were nearly 100% about the web site which only include basic Lua and Math stuff, not really related to the book (at least for now, version 1.2.83). So if Pkeod uses all his time on the Lua/Math stuff, the book will never get finished, that’s what it looks like from an external point of view.

Pkeod, am I wrong?

You’re not wrong. The stuff published on the web page is helper content for later parts. I’ve been working on various resources, such as those pages, over time when I can work on this project. I’m working again tomorrow full time, and as many days as I can until it’s done.

I just want to point out that I am not mad about anything at all just seeing things harder and harder to do with time schedules that I have when I was really hoping the book would be able to help me out. I also know that it would be nice to see something more on the book even if it’s not polished yet. There are plenty of people like me that are looking for more knowledge on defold and knowing it is a work in progress we are willing to over look a lot as long as we have good information.

In all fairness pkeod has been way more than helpful since my op and this is awesomeness. I honestly think however that sometimes people just need a little prod to get them back on track as it is easy to get distracted at least I do :joy: from what I can tell this book and everything that goes with it will be worth more than the purchase price when it is done and for that I can say thank you to pkeod.

My only problem is the scope of my project with some of the deadlines that I have. I really want to use defold because there is so much I like about defold, however it is getting close to my first deadline and I almost have nothing to show and there is another framework out there that I have used before but it is just an API and has no benefits for anyone else on my team.

After some conversations I have had today with pkeod as well as others here and the rest of my team we are sticking around for now. However if we do leave defold for this project the upside is by the time were done this book will be done or should be I hope :joy: and we will be back.

1 Like

The message passing manual was totally overhauled some time ago. Have you read the new one?

If you have and still have trouble grasping message passing it would be great if you could send specific questions that you feel are unanswered and I’ll try to clarify and explain more in the manual.

Good to know will take a look at it again later today

The part with messages I struggled with was working out the URL, but putting this print(".",msg.url()) in the init of your script will print its URL. (can’t take credit for that, someone posted it a while back).

Deaton,
The URL is my biggest problem as well there or knowing where to send messages. Thank you for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello

Anything new maybe?

This weekend I’m working full time on the book again.

5 Likes

Just wondering on any updates

Working on the project as often as I can. I’ll be working again on it full time this weekend. Been doing some work during the week days after normal work.

1 Like

Cool and I do not doubt that you r working hard however is there a way we could get a downloaded version of what u have right now?

I’ll see if I’m satisfied enough with the work by the end of this weekend. I need to bump a few threads here to try to get answers to some questions I’m still waiting on. Ask again next Sunday / Monday.

2 Likes

Ok sounds like a plan