I made test of build sizes for empty project (Defold 1.2.80):
- ios 5.3 Mb - great result;
- android 2.7 Mb - one of the best result in all cross platform tools;
- html5 - 4.9 Mb - very sad result.
- ios 5.9 Mb
- android 2.9 Mb
- html5 5.7 Mb
I work with html5-games portals, and main engines for this type of games are:
- phaser 1500Kb full version, and 500Kb lite version without physics and some other modules;
- cocos 2d js 1980Kb - full version and 424Kb lite version, and you can make your own custom built without some unused modules http://cocos2d-x.org/filecenter/jsbuilder/ .
It’s very tiny engines and sometimes 5Mb is upper limit of whole game with all sources, sounds etc. For example you can see requirements of Spillgames (one of the biggest html5 games sponsor. They have several html5 portals) http://www.spilgames.com/developers/integration/html5/integration-requirements/
I think, will be great to have new feature auto stripping or pre configurated with possibility turn off unneeded modules (like in cocos2djs).
It’s very useful not only for html5, but and for all other builds.
Defold all time add new features and in few years it can be big and clumsy engine like Unity. (I know many people who want turn off physics or some other things in they games on Unity)