Back to Defold after 2 years, "Bouncy Catapult" hypercasual prototype

A small update:

• localization to 14 languages
  • separate sounds for glass and marble bricks + sound for “dive down” effect!

Play here: http://anvil-games.com/defold/catapult/index.html

Currently working on new characters and some coins you’ll need to collect on the level and use to unlock such characters:

characters com-video-to-gif

12 Likes

The Game is released world-wide on iOS now!

Yes, it’s paid, don’t ask, it’s part of the Plan :face_with_monocle:

But here are few promo codes for those who wanna try it. Enjoy!
(and put a comment if you used one of the codes, please)

1. used
  2. HEF3TLW46L9T
  3. used
  4. KMX37WLFW64Y
  5. AAL4MPN46H4Y
  6. M6TJRMWX74KL
  7. JEE7TXREYTFR
  8. 9N9WRYJM947Y
  9. RMALM44HMPPJ
  10. used

P.S. it is actually a month ago version, so nothing really new there in comparison with the HTML5 build I’ve posted earlier.

8 Likes

I used code 3. Really looking forward to playing it!

2 Likes

237 Ratings

Woah! Congrats!

2 Likes

I used code 10. Looks great and works like a charm. Only problem is; It is not filling/fit the entire iPad screen.

2 Likes

Thanks @selimanac ! I don’t have an iPad, can you show how it looks there? In theory on more „square” screens there should be „walls” on the left and right sides of the screen.

It works this way because the game is based on physics and bouncing from walls is important part of the gameplay so I can’t change levels proportions and only can move the ceiling and keep the rest parts in the same proportions, and initial target proportions aim phones screens.

1 Like

He-he, ratings are from the period when I was doing paid UA experiments on the free version of the game :slight_smile: So it’s not exactly what it looks (there are no 237*X purchases of the paid version), but I hope others will have the same positive reaction while viewing the store page

3 Likes

Screenshot is below. Maybe you can place the visible walls on the sides. Their heights can be half of the screen height or maybe less. Also you can fit the background color/image to the screen. Lazy solution but at least maybe gives a better feeling.

1 Like

And also you can send me the testflight invitation if you want me to test it on ipad again.

I used code 1. The game looks and plays really great! Love the haptic feedback.

1 Like

Hey-hey, 1.5 months have passed and here’s a new update:
:video_game: http://anvil-games.com/defold/catapult/index.html :video_game:

What’s new?

• Collect coins on levels!
  • Unlock 9 cute characters!
  • Play totally rebalanced levels!

Little more details:

• I really like coins, should’ve been added much earlier - at the same time they give you additional micro-goal and guide through the level. Sometimes I even miss the goal and wait for level completion after collecting all coins on the level. Maybe make the whole game about collecting coins?.. :thinking:
  • Characters are good, might be even better if add them more life - moving eyes, sounds, squashing and bouncing animations, but unfortunately I can’t implement everything at the same time and have to prioritize tasks
  • Levels rebalancing was made relying on analytics collected from few thousands of real players. The goal was to reduce losses of active players between levels. I’ve built a funnel showing how players are passing levels + calculated how much time is spent on each level and what is the frequency of skips for each level. I’ve rebalanced levels to make them even more easy and “snackable”, so, for hardcore players it’ll probably look boring, but this was done by design, as planned.

What’s next?

• Ads, Interstitial and Rewarded
  • No Ads purchase
  • Android release

Going to try Enhance for ads - both as a tech solution to cover bunch of ad network SDKs and as the ads mediation tool.

12 Likes

Anniversary day! :tada:

The first prototype was made one year ago, in one day, 21-11-2018, and I even have a link to this first version: http://anvil-games.com/defold/catapult/2018-11-21/index.html

As you see the game did not change dramatically :sweat_smile:

For sure, it’s not really adequate to spend so much time to such type of game, but I’ve learned a lot from experiments on this project and it still generates data to be analyzed.

11 Likes

Update is live on the AppStore:

10 Likes

Nice! I’d like to have Bouncy Catapult in the showcase section of the Defold site. If you’d like to get it featured there please send me some promo images: Get your game listed on www.defold.com!

5 Likes

Another behaviour, that was not obvious and expected with default settings:
My colleague reported a bug in HTML5 build on his PC, where game was playing like in fast-forward mode: https://forum.defold.com/uploads/default/original/3X/0/a/0a66633fdabaa666dddae47a545221d39316201a.MP4

When I disabled Vsync and set Frame cap = 60 in Display setting of the project the bug has gone. I expected, that by default game timing is always consistent and do not rely on the hardware config, but I don’t blame Defold here, Vsync, frame rate and delta time was always a tricky topic. Just sharing my experience and bug investigation.
P.S. maybe it’s not required to limit Frame cap specificially, but it worked in this way and I did not check other options.

3 Likes

Finally, Bouncy Catapult reached Google Play!

It’s in Open Beta any feedback is appreciated! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Another day - another release, now on Poki.com:

10 Likes

Nice! I hope it goes well.

1 Like

How was your experience with Poki? Did you have to integrate some services?

It was pretty smooth, I’ve integrated all needed APIs in about 4 hours - my web-version was already ready for showing ads, so I’ve just changed one calls and callbacks to others, with some help from @AGulev (by the way, contact him if you want a referral bonus for launching the game on Poki). In general you need to implement JS calls for their ads + some other minor stuff, docs are pretty clear and they have a fancy QA tool to test all these APIs. I’ve used a JS to Def extension as a bridge with JS.

3 Likes