Am I able to code my own extensions?

Hi,

Some months ago I left defold behind because it did not support custom extensions. Now I see this : Defold plugins, extensions and useful code snippets and brough some hope.

All my games come with UnityAds, Admob and Facebook Audicence ads, so, I really need to integrate them. Is this possible at the moment?

If it is not possible, when will it be? I see posts from May and Jun suggesting you are heavily working on this feature so, could you give us an estimate date?.

Cheers.

Hey! The ads can be displayed on the WebView context. There was a demo projects on the forum.
The C++ option for Defold is coming indeed. We expect first alpha testers to get something within a month. We had a proof of concept working in early June. But then vacations happened =]

People relying on third party SDKs now develop their projects with Defold considering we’re releasing the C++ plugins option this autumn.

Can you use UnityAds outside the scope of a Unity game?

Yes, of course. As an example: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/unity-ads-android/wiki/sdk_android_integration_guide

I think I will wait for this thing to appear :). Then I will decide. I know you have a lot of things to do, but for mobile, native extension should have been first citizen in engine IMO.

I see, thanks! Many ad providers do unfortunately not provide support for HTML5/Javascript which would be required to show ads using the Defold WebView. Unity Ads does not have a Javascript SDK and it seems like AdMob discontinued theirs a while after Google acquired them (and now recommend to use AdSense instead).

Facebook Audience ads looks doable though. I’ll see if I can get it working.

1 Like

We can have a nice conversation about priorities in the engine here =] But we’ll be happy to see you happy with Defold as we have features you need.

My logic is that if you have support for extensions from the beginnign you will remove a bit of the burden to develop a lot of things people ask like: different ad networks, steam support, etc… etc…

Then, the mytical sentence “Do it yourself and contribute” can be answered in a lot of different threads :D.

Cheers,

hey @Oleg_The_Evangelist, about the alpha testers, will we need to apply to something somewhere, or can i like, just download the alpha version and play with it? >w< i am really interested and I want to try this out as soon as possible~

I almost have it working. Facebook Audience-Network ads is a bit tricky since you cannot serve them from file:// so I had to re-use an web server implementation I wrote a while back to serve the actual HTML (built on top of LuaSocket). With the webserver in place all of the JS is loading as it should but I always get “Audience Network error (1001) No fill. We are not able to serve ads to this person”. If I browse to the webserver from a desktop browser in device mode or from another mobile phone the page loads as expected and Facebook Audience-Network ads are served. I need to sit down with @Mathias_Westerdahl once he is back from vacation and look at out WebView implementation. It could be that it is too restrictive in some way.

Did you have a native Facebook app installed and logged in while testing?

Yes, I checked all of the obvious things stated in the troubleshooting FAQ and the more detailed list in the Error Codes section.

My guess is that the webview is configured in a very restrictive way which prevents the FB script to check if the user is signed in on Facebook for instance. I haven’t tried on iOS yet. I might have more luck there.

I don’t recall setting the android WebView in any special restrictive mode (like disabling anything), and I don’t see anything in particular that stands out in the code. Perhaps it is something that needs to be enabled to work. I would try this on iOS to see if this is platform specific.

Yup, I’m working from home today and tomorrow but I think I have an iOS device lying around somewhere so that I can give it a try.

We’ll do a call here on forums and on the slack #social channel. So please stay tuned. We’re working hard to get something out for you guys.