A tiled Slice 9 mode in GUI nodes

Hello everyone

How could I get something like a tiled Slice 9 mode in GUI nodes?
Maybe someone has a ready-made example script or any other workaround?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m sorry but we do not support that currently.

I found some discussions here and here, but those solutions seems very tricky.

Okay, I’ll think about how I can work around it. But this feature would be great… :innocent:

1 Like

Maybe there is the way to stop the texture to stretch if the node is smaller than its texture? Just cutoff it for example. I think by this way I could make a big tiled texture and just use it.

In practice my task is to use some hand-drawn textures for the UI and stretch the buttons, dialogs and other rects without loss of the hand-drawn details like paper tears or roughness of the pen.

2 Likes

This is what my graphic designer does too. Is this on the feature list for the future? I would like to use it.

It’s in our backlog somewhere, but not high on the list I’m afraid. Note that we do support “normal” 9-sliced graphics for GUI nodes though.

Is there texture tiling at all (without slicing)? I didn’t see that when skimming the docs.

Just to clarify it a bit (to be sure we understand each other). We don’t have a 9 slice scale for sprites and we don’t have tiling out of the box but it’s possible to write for sprites using shaders.
But we have 9 slice scale for GUI: https://defold.com/manuals/gui-box/?q=9%20slice#slice-9-texturing - could you check it please, maybe this feature would fit for your needs.

Here is what my designer does — this happens to be 3-slice. Both slicing and tiling has to happen. (I think this would probably be GUI rather than a sprite, since you read text with this background.)

It sounds like there is no easy solution at the moment. (I don’t really want to learn to write shaders just to do an illustrated text-based game.)

BTW, the screen shot is from Xcode; UIImageView handles this just fine (though obviously it is iOS-specific and not terribly helpful for a cross-platform game).

1 Like

Created an issue. Like it on the github if you want to see tiled slice-9 in the roadmap 2021 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Similar discussion, to link the posts: