A project explorer and opening projects from the menu bar

Hi everyone!

When you have opened a project but you wish to start a new project or open a recent project, you need to restart the Defold engine. It would be nice if there was an option to create a new project or open a recent project from the menu bar.

For example:

When you press New Project, the screen you get when starting Defold gets popped up.

The only similar post I have found was this one: Open project/create new project without quiting which dates from Aug 2017. Has there been any progress on this feature? :slight_smile:

There are also two buttons to quit Defold.

imageimage

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but it would be very nice if there was some sort of optional folder explorer where you can look into your projects to find code/files you want to reuse instead of using another editor.

You can go to View > Select Explorer and get a new window popped up or in the editor itself. You could also make another button next to the Assets called Explorer or something where you can see your main projects folder.

The editor itself could be something like this:

Thanks for all the great work on Defold!

7 Likes

Thank you for submitting suggestions! The best way to do this is to use Help->Report Issue from within the editor.

This has been reported here: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/76

No, afraid not. It’s not been prioritised over other more critical things.

The Defold menu with the Quit Defold option is the one generated by OSX. The File menu is created by the editor itself. Since the editor is cross platform the Quit option under File is the only one available on Linux and Windows. We could probably make it conditional and not show it on OSX.

You mean some kind of level “above” the currently opened project? Would it show other previously opened projects?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

That’s what I suggest as it’s more user friendly. You don’t want to push us to quit Defold, do you? :yum:

What I would like to see is a place where you can set a location of the folder where you store your Defold projects.

So for example I can set one or multiple locations where you can set one as active.
And the Explorer would look something like this:

This might also be an option:

If we can do this, we don’t have to use a 3rd party editor or re-open projects to get some code/files from another project.

2 Likes

All this sounds great to me, I would certainly find these features useful and convenient.

2 Likes

I would also appreciate these features! Opening multiple projects with separate windows especially.

2 Likes

Yes, If we could open a project without quiting the current project of defold, it would be useful for all of defolders…

thanks…

It’s possible to launch multiple instances of Defold of you start them from the command prompt/terminal

Opening multiple instances just by clicking the icon works in Windows 10.