32/64-bit apk crashed, Defold Editor 2, 1.2.154, Linux

#1

Hi,
This game was created earlier with Defold as a 32-bit game. Now, I want to make a 32/64 bit apk, but ran into problem:

Defold Editor 2 Linux (1.2.154),
In Project/build, the game ran well on Linux screen.
In Project/bundle/Android Application selected both 32 and 64 bit. A “generated.appmanifest” was put in a project folder, and indicated it in the Native-extension App Manifest section in the game.project.
The apk was generated, but when I copied the apk on a 64-bit Android mobile, it crashed upon clicking. What could be the problem? Thanks

0 Likes

#2

Seems Defold’s 64-bit support needs more work.

0 Likes

#3

Related

0 Likes

#4

This was supposed to have been fixed with the 1.2.154 release. Can you please open the editor about window and share a screenshot? Can you also try to bundle an empty project?

0 Likes

#5

thanks

0 Likes

#6

screen shot attached. In my game, with/without generated.appmanifest, it crashed.

i did create an empty project, selected 32/64 bit and project/bundle/android application, made apk, and copied the apk to my 64-bit android phone and ran it without problem. generated.appmanifest was not even used.

Thanks.

0 Likes

#7

Do you have native extensions in your project?

0 Likes

#8

I did not write C/C++ code in my game.
But, my game contains graphics by Spline (Esoteric Software). Could that be a problem in 64-bit?
Thanks,

0 Likes

#9

Sorry. Spine (Esoteric Software)

0 Likes

#10

No, that would not count as a native extension. Can you post your game.project text just to be sure?

For me some native extensions do cause engine to crash on Android device when built from the editor but it might be those NEs fault.

0 Likes

#11

[project]
title = Xxxx
version = 26

[bootstrap]
main_collection = /main/controller.collectionc

[input]
game_binding = /input/game.input_bindingc
use_accelerometer = 0

[display]
width = 640
height = 1136

[ios]
bundle_identifier = com.example.todo

[osx]
bundle_identifier = com.example.todo

[android]
app_icon_192x192 = /assets/192.png
input_method = HiddenInputField
version_code = 26
package = com.xxx.xxxx
manifest = /assets/AndroidManifest.xml

[script]
shared_state = 1

[particle_fx]
max_count = 1000
max_particle_count = 102400

0 Likes

#12

Really difficult to say.
What did the logcat say?

2 Likes

#13

It’s impossible to say without providing any more information.

  • Did it crash directly on start? Were you able to start the game and actually see something before it crashed?
  • What did adb logcat say? Does it show a Java error or a native crash with backtrace?
2 Likes

#14

please see below

0 Likes

#15

Hi Guys, I found a way to make it work. I need to re-build my game in 1.2.154 manually.
I tested one collection with 2 objects. 32/64-bit apk worked on a 64-bit android phone without crashing. I will continue re-building my game this way. It will take a few days, but it works.

0 Likes

#16

Well, it’s difficult to help in a more permanent/efficient manner if you don’t give us any more info.
I’m happy you got a workaround at least.

0 Likes

#17

It’s good that you found some workaround for now, but if it’s a crash it is certainly a bug with Defold and we would really like to fix it.

If you can supply us with some more information, adb logcat output or similar that would be really helpful.

1 Like

#18

please see below.

0 Likes

#19

What do you mean by this? Rebuild manually?

Please provide us with as detailed information as possible. We’re unable to help otherwise.

0 Likes

#20

re-build manually: look at what I did in 2017 Defold’s (linux) project file, and re-create it in a new Defold release.

Let me explain the problems:

2017 -> 1.2.152 (Linux): I created this game using Defold (Linux) in 2017. When I tried to import the 2017 game into 1.2.152, it failed. I understand it. Defold in 2017 was very different then it’s in 2019. My workaround was to re-build my game manually in 1.2.152.

1.2.152 -> 1.2.154 (Linux): Now I needed to do the 64-bit. I was able to read the 1.2.152 project file in 1.2.154. The game ran properly on Linux screen. A 32/64-bit apk was created with project/bundle/android application. But, when I tested the apk on a 64-bit android phone, it crashed.

I suggest you select an existing Defold example with sufficient complexities, use a 2017 version Defold-Linux to create a project file. Then try to read that project file in 1.2.152(Linux). Maybe you will see the same problem. Once you fix that problem. You could try in 1.2.154(Linux) to read in the project file you created in 1.2.152. Then create a 32/64-bit apk with /project/bundle/android application, then test that apk on a 64-bit android phone, maybe it will crash like what happened to me.

0 Likes