Why does the Defold editor take up so much space?

Hi, I have one question. Why is Defold almost 400 Mb big, when, for example, Godot has only 25 Mb and has implemented, for example, work with lights and a lot of other things. I much prefer Defold even without those features, but just for fun, I would like to know what takes up so many space in Defold and where Godot could have saved space.
:smile:

1 Like

Are we talking about the space the editors take up?

Defold includes everything needed to build and bundle for all our supported platforms: HTML5, iOS, macOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Switch.

Godot requires you to install the required SDK’s yourself:
E.g. for Android:

Downloading Android SDK and the JDK:
In order to setup these things you have to download the Android SDK and you have to download OpenJDK or OracleJDK. It is recommended to stay at JDK version 8 or higher, as lower versions may have issues. I personally installed java-1.8.0-openjdk , the third option on the OpenJDK github page.

These packages are large (e.g. 1 - 5 gb per platform), and you’ll quickly pass the 400mb.

15 Likes

I tested Godot again after a while and to bundle for Windows it wants me to download 440MB alone, for that single target. The download speed is slower than Defold’s servers.

2020-09-09%2011_14_01-Godot%20Engine%20-%20BlankProject

Worth noting that the final executable used to run your game is smaller with Defold than Godot. :slight_smile:

Godot blank project exported for Windows: 12.6MB zipped, 32.9MB unzipped (it’s possible there are optimizations possible, I created a project, exported it without debug)

Defold blank project exported for Windows: 2.6MB zipped, 7.16MB unzipped, and there is still more optimizations possible via selectively removing parts of the engine that are not needed in your project https://britzl.github.io/manifestation/

Mostly likely the other supported platforms for both is smaller on the Defold side too, which is a big advantage as often if your game doesn’t download fast enough on mobile people will never even run it.

Godot is still impressive in many ways.

12 Likes

So that’s great, another reason to like Defold more. Thank you very much for your answers @Mathias_Westerdahl and @Pkeod.

5 Likes