We are hosting a Web Monetization game jam

Thank you @britzl, it explained everything to me :wink:

Can you guys check, if WM is working in your case and “unlocks” some stuff?

In Content menu instead of info about Coil and buttons to subscribe and more info:

there should be a thank you message and no more subscribe and more info buttons

Check where? The itch.io page says there is no game: https://paweljarosz.itch.io/sms-secret-moon-station

It should be there: https://paweljarosz.itch.io/sms-secret-moon-station

Perhaps it was uploading still?

Not working right for me. The ‘subscribe’ and ‘more info’ graphics still appear with WM enabled (Firefox)

Same for me on Chrome.

I’ve noticed there’s a delay in my game of 1-2 seconds for WM to register with the game itself - so if a check is made at the start when the game is first run, it may not register. I use the listener to enable/disable bonus content and that seems to work well.

1 Like

Hmm, ok, I see. I used listener as well - but I have it in main_menu and “shop” menu and the one in main menu is working (changing indicator to W.M. ENABLED), but the one in shop menu is not, obviously. So I will create a flag in some module and change it in that listener accordingly and other scripts will use only that flag, I hope it will work.

2 Likes

That’s what I did and it works reliably.

3 Likes

It is working for me now! :+1: Now to actually add this premium stuff :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

16 hours left! I hope everyone is on the verge of submitting their games!

My brother decided he wanted to make a game for the jam yesterday so we’re working on that one now. Lots to do! We have three versions from less complex to more complex / more assets and deciding what to do to get a decent game shipped for him. :flushed:

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering about how web monetization is going to work in practice. It seems there’s no way to verify “bonus content” and Coil simply starts paying if it finds a valid payment pointer. This forum seems to have Coil activated but offers no additional content to subscribers (as far as I’m aware).

What’s the stop the big websites (reddit, fb etc.) adding payment pointers and hoovering up the lion’s share of revenue with their millions of user hours per month? A web game with a few hundred hours isn’t going to get a look in. I’m hoping my understanding is incomplete about this. Can someone maybe expand on how this all works, and how it is worthwhile doing for the little guy. Ta!

4 Likes

Imgur is already one of those big sites that’s getting a big % of my payments according to PayTrackr. Although this forum is 90%+. :wink:

More adoption is good even if the rich get richer it still creates an opportunity especially if you produce hit games. It’s always a good idea to include multiple monetization methods. Ads and IAPs are obligatory if you want to make money.

The bigger thing about WM to me is that when someone buys a $5 subscription when prompted by you you’ll likely only get cents of it if you are the one who drove the conversion, I’d rather people spend $5 directly in my game.

1 Like

Correct. We offer nothing extra right now, but it’s something we are looking into. Perhaps not for the forum but possibly for the blog posts we create where we could unlock additional content for WM enabled visitors.

Some thoughts:

• There is always a cost associated with producing content. It costs to have a journalist write a news article, a blogger to create a blog post, a YouTube to produce a video, a developer to create a game and the Defold Foundation to develop this product.
    • The cost can be recouped by placing ads in and around the content
    • The cost can be recouped by restricting access and only making the content available to subscribers or paying users
    • OR the cost or a part of the cost can be recouped through Web Monetization
  • AND if I, as a WM enabled user, visit a WM enabled site which normally shows ads I would expect the site to not show me ads or show me fewer ads. This alone is worth a WM subscription to me!
  • Yes, FB has a lot of users, but how much time on average does those users spend on FB? And how much time is spent on the HTML version as opposed to the iOS and Android apps? Some people obviously spend several hours every day on social networks but there are other groups of people spending hours every day playing games.
  • An infrequently played game will not earn much from Web Monetization or ads or IAPs. But a popular game can earn significant amounts.

What I believe is missing for wide-scale adoption of WM is three things:

1. It needs to be standardised by the W3C. This process is ongoing.
  2. We need more payment providers. Right now there’s only Coil. If/When it becomes a standard I hope it gets integrated with Chrome and Safari and linked to Google Pay and Apple Pay
  3. We need more content providers. For games I believe sites such as Poki has a huge part to play. Poki could offer a subscription service for games, backed by WM, or offer their games without ads to WM enabled players.
3 Likes

8 hours left!

I’m pulling an all nighter to try and get this concept shipped!

Got a Russian friend (guy who helps us with English->Russian localization) to record some fun voice lines.

6 Likes

Last version of SMS is uploaded on itch, 4 levels and last one is only for WM, plus Gem Detector tool that will show premium users nearest gems, even those hidden and 3 skins/characters with unique abilities - more lives, faster movement and ability to see hidden areas! :blush: I am adding last level this evening, some more sounds and will fix some bugs I will spot before the deadline!

Regards!

5 Likes

Update our castle battle game. You need defend your secrets from bad aliens(not spent a lot of time on theme :see_no_evil:)
Primium user can change speed of game.
Sources available:https://github.com/d954mas/junction2020-app (haxe for logic, defold for visual)

6 Likes

It’s over!

Unfortunately we did not have enough time to finish the ambitious version of this project, and instead cut it down to a single unpolished mini game. But we submitted something! :smiley: I think this project is worth working on more in the future so we’ll see what happens.

As for the other projects I was working on… two of the projects with others did not go anywhere because sadly other people were not responsive, I kept trying to get friends to contribute and they just didn’t, and I didn’t want to do their projects for them. Maybe next.

And my personal project didn’t get complete either, but it too I want to follow through with and complete outside of the gamejam. It got too ambitious and I don’t want to publish a version of it that’s not ready. Maybe in December it will go live!

7 Likes

Our judges have cast their votes and we are pleased to announce the winners of the Web Monetization Challenge 2020:

1. Moonshot: The Great Espionage - $1500
  2. Relic Splatter - $750
  3. Panic at the museum - $500
  4. Twilight Secrets - $100
  5. S.M.S. [Secret Moon Station] - $100
  6. Earth’s Secrets - $100
  7. Secrets of the Isle - $100
  8. The Secrets We Burn — Act 1 - $100
  9. Secrets of Atlantis - $100
  10. Island Treasure - $100

It was extremely close between first and second place and there was a lot of competition among the games placed third to fifth. Congratulations to all of the winners and thanks to everyone who participated!

The winners will be contacted to arrange for the transfer of the prize money.

12 Likes

There really were some great games made for the gamejam! :fire:

3 Likes