Void Scrappers - top-down space horde survival shooter

96 reviews. And a steam-score of mostly positive!! fantastic. It won’t let me review it yet, but I will.

2 Likes

Let me know if you need any Spanish - this is right up my street and I would love to put video game localisation on my CV.

Thank you! We’re blown away by how well the launch went.

4 Likes

Сongratulations on the release! Time to add this game to Defold showcase page!

I think the games like this should have “leaderboard” in-game.

my first run:

7 Likes

9 Likes

@Alex_8BitSkull I know you are dealing with updates and bugs, but I have a question which I’m curious about; are you using frustum culling and did you test it with/without using it?

Since your project is quite large, effect of frustum-culling can be huge on gpu load and fps of course.

5 Likes

I use frustum culling but did not test without. The effect on Fates of Ort was quite drastic so I am confident it will be the case here too. I do not manually disable off-screen enemies and other particles, so frustum culling will certainly have a significant impact. The only thing I do myself is simplify enemy behaviour when off screen (no crowding, no projectiles, etc).

8 Likes

I know I am in a very small niche audience of mac gamers, but my laptop did get nice and toasty when playing. However, I was warned by steam that the game might not be compatible (I’m on an M1) so it’s probably likely due to the translation process.

2 Likes

This is actually a quality of life feature to help with the cost of living crisis. I encourage users to turn off their central heating and instead bask in the glow (figurative and literal) provided by Void Scrappers.

11 Likes

Well, finally I got free time to play this game as it deserve.
It is very unique and very well crafted. Musics, sound fx are wonderful. Gameplay is incredibly well balanced and challenging. Damn, this thing is addictive :slight_smile: I can’t stop myself playing with it. It’s already been 4 hours and I’m still on it. I should sleep a bit :slight_smile: Now I know why @Pawel goes mad :slight_smile:

Congrats to everyone who involved in this project.

PS. I couldn’t be able to pass threat level 23 yet :frowning:

7 Likes

Thank you Selim!

Maybe too addictive…

8 Likes

Pleasure is a sin! :rofl:

This fellow pushing the limits. How many bullets in there :smiley:

5 Likes

14.5 hours!!? The game’s only been out a week!

2 Likes

If you think that’s a lot, I can only send my apologies for wrecking @Pawel 's sleep schedule:

Actually, the play stats generally are great. I am seeing a median playtime of >3 hours, with 4% of users clocking in at >20 hours (!). My only point of comparison is Fates of Ort, which has a median playtime of 1 hour 21 minutes.

Longest single playtime I can see is from a review clocking in at 116.9 hours.

9 Likes

Do you have stats from Fates of Ort on Switch too? I’m only playing there actually :grin:
For VS I think I have now more hours than in Witcher 3 :grin: I didn’t know such genre would fit me so much :wink:

4 Likes

All these comments are really strengthening my resolve to stay the hell away from this game. We’re reprising my play on 22nd and I want to release a demo of my game at the same time, so I have to stay focused on that.

When that is done? I’m definitely jumping straight into this.

7 Likes

@Alex_8BitSkull are you cloud saving the permanent upgrades? I was going to test Void Scrappers on the Steam Deck today and noticed that the permanent upgrades weren’t synced. Is this intentional?

1 Like

Not intentional. Not sure why it is. I use the basic Steam Auto-Cloud. I think there’s a more advanced version using the API but I haven’t even checked if it’s implemented in your extension.

1 Like

Having read more, I think it’s possible to set up cross-platform syncing using Auto-Cloud.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/cloud#steam_auto-cloud

However, frustratingly, I am unable to get it quite right and also can’t figure out how to test it. I’ve only got access to a Windows machine and my Steam Deck, but to test you need access to the console and I can’t quite figure out how to do that on the Deck.

This was my old setup, which worked well on each platform:

This was my attempted new setup following the documentation. I pushed it live briefly (yolo), but it rendered the Deck unable to sync at all, so something must be wrong:

3 Likes

Have you confirmed that there is a problem with the sync and that it is not something that only I am experiencing?

1 Like