Visual Novel/Point & Click hybrid in Defold

hey, everyone. i’m planning on making a visual novel/point & click hybrid and am looking for a good engine for the project. i come from renpy, but i need more features/flexibility, and am currently torn between godot and defold (and unity, but c# and a few crashes have put me off it for now).

i’ve already read most of the manual but i’m a beginner to programming so i’m not sure of how to proceed now. especially when it comes to the dialogue system, since the game is very story heavy. something like renpy scripting language would be ideal, but i’m not sure it’s realistic considering how much of a noob i am (though i am willing to learn).

so, what i would like to know is, is defold a good engine for ace attorney/danganronpa-like games? that means click to inspect objects/talk to characters, a very robust dialogue system, inventory, etc. very ui-heavy games in general, i guess. if that’s all possible/not a struggle, where do you guys recommend i should start? i just need a direction, mostly. i can dig around the web & the engine on my own. thanks!

3 Likes

Hello!
I love visual novels!! (maybe next project idk :D)And I found a very interesting tool made by @yeqwep \o/
GitHub: https://github.com/yeqwep/Story_Table
Test Demo: https://yeqwep.itch.io/test-defold-vn

Check out!

2 Likes

Several developers have used Defold to experiment with visual novels. I think Lua is a perfect language for this, with simple data structures and coroutines.

Search for visual novels here on the forum and you’ll find a lot of discussions and examples. Here’s on example: Everlasting Summer (Defold edition)

2 Likes

Sure, in all aspects. First of all it’s waaay easier than Unity and has a lot of features that are a huge help with GUI and animation. Messages system is great. Tables too. Internal atlases are a useful tool. We have a solid progress in production with even smaller team and more complex project.

In my experience, there was no special “start” at all. Just make the game. It will take about a month to get used to LUA and Defold and then it becomes quite clear and simple.

Glad we’ve risked and changed engine despite some important features are still in development (sprite trimming please).

6 Likes

I think benjames-171’s “Station Master” will be helpful.

2 Likes