Using Platypus, the character behaves strangely when jumping near a wall, what to do?

It looks like the character is “magnetic” to the surface. I tried to prohibit calling the platypus.left() /.right() commands if the character collides with a wall, but this did not help solve the problem.
Also, I encountered the phenomenon of “magnetism” when the character jumps over the platform (in the video)
Am I doing something wrong?

Are you using the latest version of Platypus? Have you configured the bounds of your character properly?

Can you share a screenshot with the debug option enabled in Platypus (https://github.com/britzl/platypus#platypuscreateconfig) and also enable Physic debug in game project?

Yes, I use the latest version of Platypus. I set up the character borders correctly. An additional collider for checking collisions with various objects I made kinematic and slightly smaller than the boundaries that I specified in Platypus.
The video shows that raycast behave strangely on seemingly identical surfaces.

2021-01-13_103753
2021-01-13_103803
2021-01-13_103848

Would you mind sharing your project with me (bjorn@defold.se) so that I can take a look?

Yes, of course!

KIngVSGreenSkins.zip (596.7 KB)

I’ve released a new version of Platypus which improved handling of one-way platforms as well as the case when jumping next to a wall and passing above the edge.

1 Like

You’re incredible! Thank you very much!

(I apologize for my English)
I’m not quite sure if this was the case in the previous version of Platypus, but I noticed that if only one of the edge raycasts crosses when landing on the ground, then the character is either pushed away or simply ignores the collision.
This is certainly not entirely critical, but if someone uses wide physical bodies, then the chance of encountering such behavior will be higher.

Yes, so that is the tradeoff with my change. Now that I think of it I might actually have a solution to it!

Can I just say, this game looks amazing!

Indeed! I love the style! (The art is created by Pixel-Frog: https://pixelfrog-store.itch.io/)

3 Likes

Oh nice, I hadn’t seen that one. Kenney has competition.

2 Likes

As I see in my project now everything works perfectly! Have you found a solution to the problem? In any case - thank you very much! I can’t imagine what I would do without Platypus.

Yes, I released another version with a fix