Translating Defold docs

Is that page actually linked from the manuals (the menu on the left here https://defold.com/manuals/importing-graphics/)? Can you share the full browser link to the page?

https://github.com/defold/doc/blob/master/manuals/graphics

thanks

One question I open now one manual and I open through github by make fork and clone in browser how I proceed to make the translation , ok I see the english but I how I put now my greek. thanks

Ah, ok, yes, that page isnā€™t used anymore. I can fix the broken link but it is unlikely that anyone will find it unless there is some old link on the internet somewhere.

When you open the project using GitHub Desktop you get a local copy of the repository stored on your computer (it is called a clone). You make changes to this local copy and then send those changes to GitHub using GitHub Desktop.

1 Like

ok now i saw i open in explorer and all are there. ok and to send I need do pull request yes?

Ok I will start from today to make the translation

thanks

To send your changes to your own copy/fork you use Push. And to share your changes with the original repository you copied/forked your project from you do a Pull Request.

1 Like

Kalispera @britzl I done push and after I done pull, now I must do sth? bec did not show up at github, except if you must do sth now and i dont know. Thanks

Push = Send changes you have Committed in your local copy to GitHub
Pull = Get changes from GitHub to your local copy

Pull Request = When you have Pushed your changes to GitHub you can request that those changes should be pulled into another branch in the same repository or into the repository you forked your project from.

Please read the documentation for GitHub Desktop and GitHub to learn more. https://docs.github.com/en/desktop

2 Likes

@Elpidoforos_Gkikas, all your question are regarding Git and Github and this is a game engine forum, so you know it is a mismatch :smiley: you should look for the answers before asking questions. As a beginner with git you need to do some tutorial to understand it, it is really easy, but only when you grasp the concept behind it - I had many problems with understanding it when I started learning it and it took me a while to get the idea of git and how to use it :wink: Here are some good tutorials to start:

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

When you get to know Git and Github, you can get back to the manual I posted in my first answer here and you will be able to make the changes and do a pull request, in other case it will be a headache for you, you will likely make mistakes and wonā€™t make a proper pull request :wink: Start step by step :wink:

4 Likes

Kalispera, can I ask sth in traslantion the photo that seems in english manual, does not shows at all at other translation, should not show the english photo but in all translations? Because how user understand what we write to him without photos? except if in site of defold shows and not in github? thanks

1 Like

The images will be visible on the site. Or is that not the case?

1 Like

This I asked bec in git when i opened i didnot see them and i afraid will be this but after came the idea that in site will be, but just in case i asked to be sure that they can see them. Ok thanks, sth last if need modify sth to pass changes must do new pull request yes? thanks

1 Like

Yes, whenever you want to ā€œuploadā€ your changes to the master branch of defold/doc you need to create a Pull request, because you are not the owner of the master branch and thus you can only request the owner to pull your changes :smiley:

1 Like

ok thanks for the support :blush: i check now at manuals and i saw that greek is now at some after the translation but even i saw on site brings me very joy :joy::joy::joy: to see my language. Even if i put this with your help is very important maybe for newcomers greeks to see greek manuals. When i ll start the community greek site for defold group i will certainly put links from the greek manual.

Also i will continue put now other basic so to go slowly slowly because are many file and you do not know where to start, good that @britzl said to do introduction and building blocks and addressing.

Thanks

1 Like

Important note: Do not translate the frontmatter in the file:

Ļ„ĪÆĻ„Ī»ĪæĻ‚: Ī•Ī¹ĻƒĪ±Ī³Ļ‰Ī³Ī® ĻƒĻ„Īæ Defold
ĪµĪ½ĻƒĻ…Ī½Ļ„ĪæĪ¼ĪÆĪ±: ĪœĪ¹Ī± ĻƒĻĪ½Ļ„ĪæĪ¼Ī· ĪµĪ¹ĻƒĪ±Ī³Ļ‰Ī³Ī® ĻƒĻ„Īæ Defold.

The text saying title: and brief: should not be translated.

2 Likes

But the content of it should, right?

title: Ī•Ī¹ĻƒĪ±Ī³Ļ‰Ī³Ī® ĻƒĻ„Īæ Defold
brief: ĪœĪ¹Ī± ĻƒĻĪ½Ļ„ĪæĪ¼Ī· ĪµĪ¹ĻƒĪ±Ī³Ļ‰Ī³Ī® ĻƒĻ„Īæ Defold.
1 Like

Yes!

2 Likes

In polish language, words are conjugated according to grammatical case, thus I sometimes naturally would conjugate name ā€œin Defoldā€ as ā€œw Defoldzieā€, but I can say ā€œin Defold engineā€ as ā€œw silniku Defoldā€ or ā€œin Defold editorā€ as ā€œw edytorze Defoldā€ without conjugating the word Defold - is it better for you? It is hard because sometimes Defold refers to both and in that case I should probably use a generic name and shouldnā€™t point out wheter itā€™s about enigne or editor. Or maybe should I use some other generic world? IDE? IDE is common in polish, could be eventually translated to exact ā€œzintegrowane środowisko uruchomienioweā€, but in my understanding it refers to something like Eclipse or CodeBlocks - I donā€™t know if it is suitable for game editor and game engine - what do you think? :smiley:

Is it important to know if it is the engine or editor in the context of the text you are translating? If it doesnā€™t matter or if it is obvious by reading the text then I think it is fine to use ā€œin Defoldā€.

2 Likes

Sometimes the context should be explained in my opinion. I will talk about it with some polish gamedevs maybe :smiley: Because with Unity people used to say ā€œin Unityā€ as ā€œw Unityā€ without conjugation, but for example gamedevs says both ā€œw Unrealā€ or conjugated ā€œw Unrealuā€ (itā€™s probably because of the last letter being also a consonant :stuck_out_tongue: Though, it reads kind of unnatural for me with ā€œw Defoldā€ (ā€œin Defoldā€), but I will try to resolve it, I will ask also on some translating forums and forums for polish and english speakers :wink:

Also, a sidenote for @Elpidoforos_Gkikas, but maybe it also should be noted in Instructions for translators too? (@britzl ?) - Iā€™m trying to put as many translations in original language like:

obiekty gry (ang. game object), pełnomocnik kolekcji (ang. collection proxy), fabryka (ang. factory)

to immediately teach people those words, because those are the key words in Defold and we wonā€™t be translating the Editor itself - so for sake of clarity I would like people to teach those words, so they can then use them in the engine. At last, English is inevitable for developers :smiley:

Donā€™t translate things like:

<kbd>Edit ā–ø World Space</kbd>;

as well, because it is how they should find those options in the editor, but for example translate:

<kbd>drag</kbd> and <kbd>drop</kbd>
--as
<kbd>przeciągnij</kbd> i <kbd>upuść</kbd>

because it denotes the action, that people are going to make

Links in the text like:

[addressing manual](/manuals/addressing)
--could have the visible text translated, e.g.:
[Instrukcji adresowania](/manuals/addressing)

but for example descriptions of images:
ā€œ! Collection{srcset=ā€œimages/building_blocks/collection@2x.pngĀ 2xā€}ā€
in my opinion donā€™t need to be translated, because images are by default displayed instead of them and the instruction is not readable without them, so itā€™s just a waste of time

The same regards comments in the lua (...) fragments of code - I think it should be arbitrarily to transalte them, because, again, English is inevitable here (and devs, at least in Poland, donā€™t like polish comments in (at last) ā€œenglishā€ code :stuck_out_tongue: )

Donā€™t translate of course name of functions:

`init()`, `update()`, `on_message()`, `go.animate()`, etc.

nor special messages texts:

`set_parent`, `enable`, `disable`, etc.

It is also good to keep ids in manuals the same as in the images:

`bean`, `buddy`, `controller`, `team_1`, etc.

Sometimes I use also a proper noun instead of the literal translation, or followed by that translation:

animacja szkieletowa (animacja typu Spine)
--so later I can use just:
animacja Spine

or

w poziomej sekwencji jak kafelki (w tzw. Tile Source)
w galerii obrazĆ³w (Atlas)
obrazy (sprites)

Again, because it teaches people english words immediately, to get the grasp in Defold editor qucikly :wink:

2 Likes