The Defold's mascot - Collection of Assets made by the Community

Awesome @Axel! Do you think it is possible that you have somewhere also SVGs of the bean character? :blush:

And @britzl - is it possible to have SVG Defold logos?

I am asking because Rive can import only SVGs, not PNGs :confused:

Here are the SVGs for Defold logos

SVG.zip (33.9 KB)

1 Like

I published them with the PNG versions here: https://github.com/defold/assets-defold/commit/293adef237f59c3bb4cd8a330af54cdb32affdf8

1 Like

Does Rive require characters to be positioned in a T-pose when rigged (I assume not), and does it require that each object (body, arms, legs, head, eyes, etc) within a character be a separate object/layer/group within the SVG document?

I suspect many existing SVGs will be flattened/simplified/optimized when exported (from Illustrator, Inkscape, etc) which make make it difficult to extrapolate the various parts for animation.

I’ve included a quick semi-structured/grouped sample SVG file along with the original Affinity Designer document (attached) to experiment. So far it generally seems to come into Rive (via Affinity) just fine, except for rounded stroke end-caps and joints (rendered a square) which likely means all lines/strokes must be expanded to curves (see: Bean Outlines.svg in the archive) before importing into Rive to ensure the geometry remains intact.

Bean.zip (28.2 KB)

1 Like

@pkeod actually had more variations of the logo than I had. I’ve pushed the logo versions from Brian to the same GitHub repo.

2 Likes

It’s missing the best one.

7 Likes

Nope. Not according to Guido from Rive. He writes “you can rig in whatever pose you want. And you don’t necessarily need the SVG to be broken up, we have vertex deformations (similar to raster image deformations, but with vector graphics).”

3 Likes

Beware!
This is of really bad quality, because it was recorded with gif capture, then added bean gif in Google Slides and then recorded again with gif capture :smiley: Please don’t mind this way of working, but: 1) I don’t see any option to export from Rive to GIF :confused: 2) the bean assets are really small (160px high) 3) I don’t see any option to import gif to Rive + nor the SVG import is working like I would expect - but it might be that I don’t know something :confused:

This one is with Kenney’s HD character (the same, blatant way of working):

12 Likes

Mr. Bean. Maybe with a Defold logo on him.

2 Likes

I played a little bit with DALLE and made some concepts for a community mascot for Defold - merging moose as national Sweden animal (I think it doesn’t understand difference between moose and reindeer though) and Defold specific colors.
I am not good at 3D creations, but if anyone anytime would create such a cute creature - and better - render and animate it in Defold - it would be soooo cool :smiley: Imagine there would be a game template with such a cute boy! :heart:

Here are some of my favourites:

I like the design with hands, because it can then easily hold something e.g. gamepad, mobile phone, envelope (e.g. when explaining messaging system) etc. DALLE is obviously not consistent and always generates a new design so it’s useless to make fun with one design and only change its pose and holding items or so :confused:
I’m playing though with Rive from time to time and if I will manage to create a 2D version of it, I won’t hesitate to share it!

What do you think about such shenaningas? :wink:

4 Likes