The Defold's mascot - Collection of Assets made by the Community

Ooblets also has a lot of really charming and simple characters

2 Likes

I love Ooblets! Ben and Rebeccas work is just beautiful.

2 Likes

And of course, since we’re talking about beans…

Killer_Bean_Forever_dvd_cover

6 Likes

What about Bengan?. He is my favorite🙂

10 Likes

But would it be practical in example games?

birds

When we get mesh collisions we should make a 3D platformer as a community in the spirit of Crash / Spyro / Mario 64. :innocent:

9 Likes

random sketches of pkeod’s design + one using bengan haha

13 Likes

I love the bottom-right from @Pkeod and top-right from @Dat_Indie :smiley:

While still gathering all ideas here we could make a voting here in the end that will include all of them? Next week? Next Friday? :wink:

3 Likes

I love top-right one from @Pkeod!

11 Likes

I has poor art skill but want to propose next mascot - CAPYBARA. This is peaceful and clever animal and ideal for fascot presentation )

4 Likes

Awesome look!

2 Likes

Hmm, I have a question. I was thinking that it would be best do use something has relates to “folding” like the origami mentioned earlier. But first I think it would be useful to know what the Defold logo image is supposed to be? The little colorful cube.

2 Likes

WalkBean!

14 Likes

+1 for bean or bean-derivative from me.

3 Likes

wolf wolf2 anim_exmpl_2

char_wolf_2

Eating Sad Smile

12 Likes

I spent a few minutes playing with evolving the bean/capsule character as I feel it’s a very simple character that anyone can create something with, but it is also shape which with a few additional components (assets/accessories) that can create very expressive and unique characters which work both in 2D and 3D contexts—much like Defold itself.

I’ve done my mock up deliberately in black & white and have included a smaller size variation as I think these need to be adaptable to a number of contexts—and adding colours, shading and textures will only make them richer. I also think they’ll probably work fine as pixel art, but I haven’t broken out Aseprite yet to try.

There is of course some inspiration from Patapon (namely from being rendered in black and white currently), and I’ve also deliberately not gone with one single mascot character. There’s something really interesting about the idea of being able to adapt a simple bean/capsule into an almost limitless array of characters. I’d love to see an evolving library of bean related sprites, spine models, etc in the asset library that could be used by folks to quickly start creating games with Defold. More interesting and fun than generic placeholder assets, and instantly recognizable from a Defold brand perspective.

I kind of think of them as ‘Defold Minions’. :slight_smile:

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out there sooner rather than later to see what folks think. Happy to continue evolving (further designs, components, character sheets/rotations/models, style guide, templates, asset repo, etc.) it if there is interest in doing so.

My very messy Affinity Designer doc (Defold - Beans.zip) is attached.
Defold - Beans.zip (99.6 KB)

23 Likes

There’s one other thing that came to mind this morning. A few folks have been talking about ‘folds/folding’ (like paper, etc) and there’s another phrase/definition in English that always comes to mind when I think of ‘Defold’ (and I always say it like Gerard Butler going into battle, “Aye I yam gooin inda defold!”):

“…into the fold”

Definition: Into a group of people with the same beliefs.
This phrase is usually said as bring into the fold or welcome into the fold.

I really like this idea as it not only speaks to a gathering of ‘like minds’ but potentially also inclusion and diversity, both of which are things I’d really like to hope are key goals within the Defold community as it grows.

5 Likes

So many good ideas to choose from! If I had to pick just one, I’d go with @Dat_Indie’s sketch with Bengan. I think the bean folk feel a bit too generic, like something you’d find in a free asset pack online.

Count me in!

4 Likes

It’s implied a bit by the title, but I think we don’t need one community mascot. We can have multiple community characters that can be made as 2D versions (pixel art for platformer / hand drawn for other uses) and 3D versions. Then have the IP completely put into public domain so anyone can use them. Mostly focus on using them in example projects, but if people wanted to make real games with them they could too. So whatever kind of character inspires you and you think would be useful we could make versions of. Then maybe they could appear as easter eggs in our own person projects. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah! We did do these assets which are free to use by anyone. But nothing apart from that, from what I can remember.

12 Likes

We did what!?!?!?!?!?! How on earth could I have missed or forgotten about this. OMG.

10 Likes