Support for Xbox One via UWP

So a pretty big announcement was made today by Microsoft.
Every Console can now be a Dev Kit. It is still in preview mode but It should allow people to start developing for Xbox one.

Would it be possible to get UWP app support for Defold?

2 Likes

As with all currently unsupported platforms we will consider them as candidates for implementation if there is enough demand for it. Maybe we should set up a poll or something to see which platforms people would be most interested in?

4 Likes

This would be awesome :smiley:

3 Likes

you can export html, and create a JS UWP project to make your game support Win10. but need some modification, I just have a try with a HelloWorld project, works fine. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can you post a link to your repo or your findings? Sounds like a really good candidate for a tutorial.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/create-a-hello-world-app-js-universal

Might be this one.

1 Like

I uploaded my rough project with a shot description of my changes, you can have a try. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is that poll still going to happen? I want to make a game with Defold for Nintendo’s NX console when it comes out next year.

And in 2017 Microsoft is pushing UWP on everything.
This should be added to the list of priorities even if a ‘low’ one.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/uwp

Initiatives like Windows 10 S also push the need for UWP up the ladder, for some devs at least.

3 Likes

I am back.

It would be nice if king would put this on the roadmap at least :slight_smile:

If you have a concrete plan to release a game on this platform we are able to prioritise our backlog and see how we can help fitting this feature to your dev plan.

1 Like

According to their policy, they only need one developer to get into contact with them with a serious project which they want to target Xbox One (or other targets) and they will strongly consider adding it, then everyone else can get it too presumably… anyone with a game they could reasonably launch on Xbox One or other consoles should show it to Defold team.

2 Likes

Yes, that is how we work. Some features are part of our long term world domination plan, but many come as requests from internal and external teams. Of course we need to give things different priority. For instance, if an internal team is getting close to launch we need to give them a bit of extra attention with bug fixes and stuff that they need. Note though that everything we do go into the main line so everyone reaps the benefits.

7 Likes