Support for isometric style game

Is it possible to make an isometric-styled game in Defold? Something like Chroma Squad. I know Defold has an excellent graphics library, but is their support for a 2.5D graphics engine?

Thanks!

The engine is fully 3D but there are no 3D tools in the editor. For isometric 2D, it is possible, but requires a deal of labor. The built in tile maps support only flat, non-overlapping tiles so you need to draw the graphics yourself and manage the Z-order of stuff to get the graphics sorted right (have characters move in front of and behind objects).

Okay, no library support then? Does Defold accept library submissions if I were to work on one?

We want to keep the things we ship in “builtins” to a core minimum so we probably won’t add libraries like that there. However, we are aware of the need for extended library and sharing support (via Github or similar). It has been requested internally here at King and by external developers. There is nothing definite scheduled yet though.

2 Likes

Alright, awesome. Thanks for the quick reply!

1 Like

I understand you want to keep the engine’s core as light as possible , It’s fine, but if no specific staff ,even for an isometric system , will be integrated in the engine I thing that the external library feature will be a really important feature, however for a new engine like defold it is even more important, so devs should implement as much as possible by themseves general extensions( for example : isometric system, math-based quite difficult algorithm like noise generation, pathfinding etc), ok maybe there will be some explanation online or some lua snippet, but this will help the engine to be complete, easier to develop with for beginners, and able to compete to other engine.
That`s a my opinion, what do you guys think?

2 Likes

I am making an isometric game. And it’s very simple to make the look. All you need is 3D models and a custom render script with an orthographic projection. Then you position the camera just right and viola.

4 Likes

We really need support for isometric in defold it can be so great

3 Likes