Struggling with GUI draw order

I’m currently struggling with a draw order issue. I’ve had some issues on this in past but I’m not sure how I solved them :). Truthfully though I’m in a moment where I’m doing a lot of deliberate overlapping of GUI elements so my poor understanding of draw order issues for GUIs is hurting me.

19%20PM

I’m trying to get these “cards” to overlap properly. My primitive objects do, but the dynamically loaded icons, and text don’t. I need some pointers and tasks to try and fix it.

I did some reading here and I’m not sure it’s a system default text issue, I’ve been playing with the layers and move_above move_below issues but not getting much. I just want to ensure that one card obscures all the elements on the below card.

Are you also creating new box nodes for these?

Can you isolate this down to a small example? It’s easier to reason about and suggest solutions.

Move above and move below will not really work if you also use layers unless the nodes have the same layer and exist in the same place in the node hierarchy. Move above and move below is exactly the same thing as changing the order of two nodes in the outline.

I’ll try to see if I can fork the code enough to send you a copy. Right now will look more deeply at the layer strategy. Each item is a new box node but not the text, those are just text nodes. The icons are dynamically loaded textures as well.