Steamworks SDK Support (DEF-1748)

Not urgently needed, but would be nice to have. For releasing games on Steam to support achievements. Not whole SDK is necessary to support.

If Defold team does not already have access to the SDK you can either contact a Valve rep or pay the $100 Greenlight fee which should enable ability to download SDK.

https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/api

6 Likes

I’ve done a little bit of research and found out that you should be able to use their web API to set achievements, but don’t quote me on that :slight_smile:

https://lab.xpaw.me/steam_api_documentation.html#ISteamUserStats_SetUserStatsForGame_v1

1 Like

It is possible with a server inbetween, but you would still need to authenticate the local Steam user, which requires some implementation with Steamworks for the client. Usually server achievements are for online games where you want them to be unlocked securely as other types of achievements can be unlocked any time by client.

2 Likes

Right, haven’t thought of that.

+1 then

1 Like

Feature request (DEF-1748) added to our backlog. Thanks!

6 Likes

By the way, when you do this and if you have any questions I can answer them.

2 Likes

Is there any idea on when this will be implemented? Currently looking for an engine for a project and Defold fits all my criteria and needs except Steamworks support.

2 Likes

You can still sell games on Steam without implementing Steamworks, and then add the features later once they are made available in Defold engine. I would guess if they don’t implement this officially before extension system is released any one of us could implement it.

3 Likes

Any news about supports steamworks?
We have landscape version of Bring me Cakes game, and we think about release on Steam. It would be great experience for us.
As I know @Dragosha interested too.
It’s alredy posible to do using NE, but it’s a lot of work, maybe somebody already have some progress in this direction?

2 Likes

@britzl started one I think it’s only for OSX at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s no where near finished. The Steamworks SDK is fairly extensive and I think it’s better to have a proper usecase such as yours and port the parts that are needed and leave the rest for later.

2 Likes

A version with Steam achievement support would be enough for most users.

4 Likes

I am interesting in SteamSDK too.

I agree.

User Authentication + Achievements + may be Leaderboards

8 Likes

steam? I am in! Sounds good. Would be a good Goal for all devs I think.

I prefer delevoping for Desktop, so steam would be nice!

1 Like

I have basic Steamworks features working. Will publish working extension in near future.

9 Likes