Spine animation playback

My spine animation has these keyframes:

It plays back as expected in Spine, but in Defold it looks slightly different, these are frames 24, 25 and 26:

Hierarchy:

I seem to remember having similar issues before, but can’t find it on the forum.

We don’t use the official spine runtime so it’s not surprising that there’s some discrepancy. But perhaps there’s some setting that could be tweaked in the spine scene maybe @sven?

Oh, really? Which runtime does Defold use then? Is there a different software, aside from Spine, that might be more WYSIWYG?

Our own. To reduce code bloat. But on the other hand we introduced other problems instead…

1 Like

Okay, makes sense. Could the official Spine runtime be added as a dependency maybe, for those of us who are happy to accept the bloat to avoid these discrepancies?

What happens if you increase the “Sample rate” in your *.spine_scene file?

We have our own minimal Spine runtime implementation, the original reasoning behind this was that the official didn’t fit with how we wanted bones to represent real gameobjects (I think…). It might have been some issue with performance as well (I might be wrong), but I think the official runtime have gotten much better since then?

The ideal solution would be if we could expose enough functionality through the NE system so one could create a Spine extension using the official runtime. Hopefully we can have this sometime in the future, but it is currently not anything we have planned in the nearest future so I can’t give you a timeline.

5 Likes

Short answer: It pretty much solves the problem!

I hadn’t seen that setting. My spine scene is set to 60fps, and when I set the Sample Rate to 60 in Defold it runs as expected - but only with Vsync ticked. If I untick Vsync the behaviour is similar to before, possibly a bit less pronounced.

2 Likes