Save shelter (old school fps) #CoronaDefoldJam

Aha! Cool!

Add light like in xibalba :flashlight:
The main idea that for every cell in level i can set color. Floor and walls in such cell multiple their color by light color(tint)

5 Likes

It is insane that you are making this!!! I salute you!

edit: just played the update, looks and feels amazing. Good luck with the project!

2 Likes

Looks good!

Some obligatory exploding barrels (bonus if they have some slight physics push away effect of things on the ground / other barrels before they chain explode) / secrets doors which open by E key.

3 Likes

I have doors in my notes. So i will add them sometime in future :slight_smile:

Sounds cool. I write barrels in my notes. :boom:

4 Likes

WEEKLY UPDATE:
I thought that this week I will make enemies ai and the logic of the weapons. But i do other things. :slightly_smiling_face:

1)I try split level to chunks and show only visible of them. But i have some problems, and i understand that i don’t realy need it.Because i don’t have perfomance problem. Also looks like if i changed camera distance i get same result, without a lot of work. :confused:

2)Change loading level logic to use json created in tiled.Tiled is awesome.Sometimes i place objects in wall layer and that level break game. But it is much better then edit json in notepad :slightly_smiling_face:

3)Predefined light. When i make level, i can draw light in another layer. Then in game floor and walls multiple their color by light color(tint):flashlight:

4)New minimap. To show it press tab :world_map:

5)Add very stupid AI. If enemy see player, enemy go to player. :brain:

At the next week:
1)Done weapon. After that game can be playable so i should do it.
2)More complicated ai(states,astart)

7 Likes

Coolness level over 9000!

2 Likes

Awesome work! I have a problem though. When my mouse cursor reaches the edge of the screen I can’t turn anymore. I really have no idea how I would solve it - but I am eager to learn how you do it. :grinning:

2 Likes

I use extension to hide cursor. It work only for html and use PointerLock api to hide mouse. https://github.com/d954mas/Defold-lock-cursor
Then in init function add line: lock_mouse.lock_mouse()

1 Like

No - I mean that it seems you turn the player by checking mouse position, so I can’t turn 180 degrees because the cursor get stuck at the edge of the screen. (so the problem is in your game, not in mine :slight_smile: )

If you click in game window by mouse. The game will hide cursor, and you can rotate. :slight_smile:
I check mouse dx and dy, but when you stuck at the edge of the screen the dx is zero.

1 Like

Yes sorry, I am probably being unclear. That is the problem - the cursor gets stuck which means I can’t turn any more in that direction. That means there is some areas where I simply can’t walk because my screen is too small.

EDIT: Saw your other post - seems you both understood the problem correctly and found a solution. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Start working on plot of game. If someone know good articles about plot and narrative for dummies, please share. Also now game is about running out of power, so i can use it in jam :grinning:

1 Like

hope you’re going to DevGAMM, since your project is currently my very favourite on the jam. 15 submissions currently, and Space Station looks very very solid: https://itch.io/jam/coronadefoldjam/entries

2 Likes

Demo/web version crashes on the community page

exception thrown: TypeError: panner.setVelocity is not a function,TypeError: panner.setVelocity is not a function

3 Likes

Thanks. Looks like the problem with OpenAl .In firefox it work. I will make html version without it. Maybe later i try to add check if it can work in browser, then enable.
Now all should work. You can test in itch.

3 Likes

WEEKLY UPDATE:
1)Weapon logic, can’t change weapon while shooting. Weapon spend ammo.
2)Add some sounds(pickups,shoot)
3)Add openAl extention for 3d sounds.
4)remove openAl(because it is not work in browser.) :slightly_smiling_face:
5)Lock mouse in middle for windows.
6)Add differents screens(intro and game)
7)Add ceils
8)Enemy states(walk,idle)
9)Enemy attack player

Plans for next week.
1)Work on gameplay. It is awesome to make same thinkgs, like light or structure of map. But for now i done all that i need for jam. So it is time to focus on gameplay, because for now it is boring

3 Likes

Looks like i have a problem with draw calls :thinking:
2017-09-26_17-35-43
The problem is my light system. I tint a sprite by light color in shader.

sprite.set_constant(url,"light_color",obj.light)

As i understand changing uniform in shader break batch.

Looks like now i use about 10 light colors.
So if i create 10 go with predefined uniform color is this help?
As i understand not.

Or if i have 10 different materials with different tags(light1,light2 …). Then in render draw light1 then light2 instead if drawing all by one tag.

Some others ways to do it?

1 Like

Reduce draw call to 16. :smile:
I have 10 different materials with different tags(light1,light2 …). Then in render draw light1 then light2 instead if drawing all by one tag.

9 Likes

680 to 16? That’s a bit of improvement =]

3 Likes