Simply animation example (SOLVED)

Hi,

I’m starting to play with Defold. I’m trying to understand a simple thing.
I have 2 objects: Fish and Fish1 and a script

function init(self)
	go.property("speed", 8)
	msg.post(".", "acquire_input_focus") 
    go.animate(".", "euler.z", go.PLAYBACK_LOOP_FORWARD, 360, go.EASING_LINEAR, 60/self.speed)
end

function on_input(self, action_id, action)
	if action_id == hash("touch") and action.pressed then
		self.speed=self.speed+20
		go.cancel_animations("fish1", "euler.z")
		go.animate("fish1", "euler.z", go.PLAYBACK_LOOP_FORWARD, 360, go.EASING_LINEAR, 60/self.speed)
	end
end

I wish fish1 would spin faster with each click. But it doesn’t. Why?

Hi Martin! So what happens when you touch the screen? Nothing?

The first time it turns faster, but not full 360. The next time it turns more slowly and only a few degrees

Isn’t the problem that you click at any point in the rotation, not only when exactly at 0? Example:

• You click when the fish has rotated 270 degrees at which point you cancel the animation
  • When you start the new animation it starts from where it was cancelled (from 270 degrees) and rotates the remaining 90 degrees over the same time it should have rotated a full 360.

The quick’n’dirty solution is to get the rotation when it is cancelled and rotate 360 degrees from that value:

self.speed=self.speed+20
go.cancel_animations("fish1", "euler.z")
local rot = go.get("fish1", "euler.z")
local to = rot + 360
go.animate("fish1", "euler.z", go.PLAYBACK_LOOP_FORWARD, to, go.EASING_LINEAR, 60/self.speed)
2 Likes

Yes you are right. Thank you very much. Sorry for this question

@britzl And one more question. Do I have to (should) delete the animation in this case? Will the speed increase apply to the old “process” or the new?

You can only have a single animation running for a property. I can’t remember if the system will ignore a call to go.animate() for a property if that property is already animating or if it will replace the running animation.

1 Like

It replaces the running animation

1 Like