Save File Path

Are there any App Store or other storefront complications with saving game data to directories other than under the standard path returned by sys.get_save_file()?

I’m contemplating allowing the user to specify where to save and load config data. I’m also using Bundle Resources which are stored next to the application itself. Is that an acceptable place to modify data?

This is probably fine in most cases, especially if the application is stored somewhere in user home. BUT I suppose it can be a problem in a multi-user system where the binary is installed in a shared location and you want the user data to be stored per user.

Do you know if there are any restrictions on where an application is allowed to read or write data to, that might cause problems with distributing the game on certain stores? For example, using io functions to read and write data to the user’s Documents directory on Windows instead of a more standard location like the path returned by sys.get_save_file().

If a user has Controlled folder access on, Windows will usually block a game from writing to the Documents folder.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s enough of a reason to use standard save paths instead. Guessing there are some security settings on other platforms like this too.