I would like to propose the implementation of the following single function
sys.bind_input_action( input, action)
so that one can define in runtime the input bound to an action. Maybe sys is not the best place to put such function…
- input is one constant out of the same set used in the input_binding file
- If it is needed by the engine, one may restrict this function ONLY to actions already defined in the input_binding file. (In other words, action is not a generic (hash) string. )
- This function does not break the backward compatibility.
- As far as I may guess this should be very easy to implement.
- This simple function would drastically eases the implementation of a user configurable input on PC for keyboard and gamepads; and this is almost mandatory for any game on PC.
While I love coding in c++, I am not able to compile the engine… so I don’t think I may implement the above function myself. Also, my definition may not be “canonical” or expressed in the right technical way, I am not an expert in software description… Sorry!
I hope this proposal has some sense.