Running in schools - Managed Servers

Has anyone managed to get their managed servers to allow the install of Defold?
I’d love to use this for our A-Level projects but the managed servers have sent this response:

According to the firewall logs, the app is not only trying to bypass the proxy but it’s triggering the intrusion prevention (IPS) measures on the firewall that are designed to protect our network. It does this when it tries to pull data from github. Knowing what kind of data github hosts (scripts, exes etc), we can’t in all honesty allow traffic from there to bypass IPS – I really doubt this would get the ok from security.

I was under the impression Github was only used for the template files but they are saying they need the github files to run the program.
Has anyone found a workaround? I don’t really want to have to go through the programming environment because it is so slow.

This is incorrect. GitHub is used to host the template and samples projects. When you select to create a new project from a template or sample the editor will download the project from GitHub.

Access to GitHub is not required to run Defold or to create an empty project. If you find any evidence that the editor is in fact trying to access data on GitHub when it shouldn’t we would appreciate if you could provide steps to reproduce this behaviour.

I think it should be fairly easy to add a start-up option to Defold to hide the Templates and Samples tabs.

1 Like

Does it need access to the internet at all?
I’d preferably like it to be installed on the computers rather than a virtual machine, for obvious reasons.
I’m trying to think of workarounds that my managed server would allow.

I know Craig and Dave endorse the use of Defold for A-Level projects. Would there be a possibility of a future “education” version that would cut out the need for internet access at all?

Depends. We want it since we don’t want to ship the editor with lots of example projects.
Ofc, for totally offline use, it should be possible to disable the feature.

The example projects can just as easily be downloaded manually (by you!) and placed where ever you like. Then you can simply unpack that zip file when you need to create a new sample project.

version that would cut out the need for internet access at all?

To be clear, note that it doesn’t really need internet. It just checks if it does have access to the internet, in order to display the samples/tutorials page.

Again, we can probably disable that with a setting somehow.
Perhaps our community can help with this?

1 Like

Also note that for projects using native extensions (e.g. if they wish to try adding C++ code to their project), they’ll need a build server.

We provide one by default, and it’s used by most projects.
You can setup and host one yourself if required.

1 Like